3 replies to this topic

#1 pianoland

pianoland

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

I have an upcoming interview that involves eating breakfast (in a group), then a one-on-one lunch.

Should I include in my RSVP that I'm gluten free, or handle it by declining breakfast and just hope I'll have an option with lunch?

I don't want a job interview to be about the meal, so any tips on how to approach this?

Celebrating being gluten free since July 22, 2011.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kristenloeh

kristenloeh

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

I'd just bring my own snacks for the day and if they ask you why, then just let them know about your Celiac. 

Diagnosed Celiac 04.2012
Gluten-Free 04.2012

Diagnosed Pituitary Prolactinoma 12.2012

Low Cortisol/Possible Addison's Disease 02.2013

Maybe one day I will feel "normal" again. <3

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:25 PM

If I need to eat out for any professional reason --- I bring my own.  Always order a safe beverage as this is a great start at the table and with your server.  When they return for meal orders...simply say:  "I have celiac disease and cannot eat safely anywhere...can you please bring me your nicest bowl or plate so I can serve myself safely."  

They always deliver a nice clean plate/bowl....I dump my tupperware filled with colorful food...done.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#4 cavernio

cavernio

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

I'm with gottaski. Don't decline anything, but don't eat the food from the restaurant. I'm not sure if you should tell them you're gluten free beforehand or not, don't think it will make much of a difference. I think if you bring your own meal it may come off like you're prepared for anything and are responsible. The topic about what you're eating will come up. Just say that you are gluten intolerant or a celiac and can't really trust food someone else prepares but that you're fine eating out with proper notice. (Say that even if you're not!) Don't linger on it.

That's tough though, having to bring up your health problems in an interview. Good luck with it!

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: