Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts Sponsor: Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE email alerts

• Announcements

• Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Store. For Additional Information: Subscribe to: Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

Eating Right With Celiac Disease -

1 post in this topic

Eating Right with Celiac Disease

( - CHICAGO - Celiac disease is estimated to affect one out of 141 of Americans, or just under 1 percent of the population. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics encourages Americans to learn about celiac disease - it can affect ...

View the full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Explaining Celiac to my mom (again)
      Ouch!  I really feel your pain.  It is very frustrating, sad, and lonely when your close relatives simply do not want to hear the truth.  I see that you joined in 2012 and are still having this issue.  I'm guessing your Mother will never really hear you.  (So very sorry.) Only 1 of my close relatives has been tested for Celiac.  The rest of my relatives simply do not want to hear it. When I try to explain Celiac to them, I can see that they are shutting down their ears and minds. Sometimes it is best if we can just "let it go".  Most likely, you've already tried your best to communicate your needs.  It's easier said than done; but maybe you just need to "let it go"?  Again, so sorry.
    • Explaining Celiac to my mom (again)
      So, yesterday I ate some cookies labeled "gluten free" that contained oats (I forgot that manufacturers can use oats in gluten-free products) and promptly started experiencing an immune response.  For some reason, when I eat gluten, I get constipated in addition to all the other "normal" symptoms.  Today, I have been preforming a colon cleanse to flush all the gluten out of my gut.     While I was in the bathroom, my mom came home and started complaining that I ate "just a little gluten" and that I was taking too long.  What really POs me is the fact that she herself has Celiac.  She got lucky.  Her symptoms appear much milder than either my own or my former boss (who owns a gluten free restaurant.)  How can I drive it into her head that gluten, especially when you can not clear it from your system without a laxative, is both extremely painful and causes (potentially permanent) damage to my body.  
    • Possible candidate? Symptoms/test results inside.
      Hi, I'm no expert, but I do know about the HLA DQ2 and HLA DQ8 because I just got my results for those and have been trying to look for answers.  These tests are genetic markers for celiac disease.  If both were negative, your GI doc would have eliminated celiac disease as a potential cause of your problem.  Mine are opposite results, my HLA DQ8 is positive and the other negative. Good luck with everything!
    • Our Story..
      It has been several years since anyone posted but I am wondering how everyone's children are doing?   I got pregnant with DS when I was on a gluten-free diet by chance.  (I didn't yet know I had celiac disease) He was born 41 weeks at 5 lbs 14 oz and was basically immediately Failure to thrive.  I gained a hefty 45lbs during pregnancy.  During his first year, we had to supplement to add calories, were always on the verge of a feeding tube, etc.  He is now 4 and only weighs 27lbs and is at least half a head shorter than his peers.  He eats but it is minimal.  We tried to do a blood test when he was younger but they have a terrible time getting blood from him.  I tried gluten free as I thought this would help him but quickly threw in the towel because family wasn't on board and the fight was too exhausting.  (Ex.  His cousins had goldfish and they gave my DS them too.)   FFWD to now... I was not getting pregnant and after some odd symptoms I had ob and gi run some tests on me.  I found out in the same week I had hypothyroid and celiac.  Shortly after this and gluten free, I was pregnant with DD.  I kept a gluten free diet, gained 21lbs during pregnancy, and had a daughter at 40 weeks 8 lbs 8 oz.  She has been healthy as an ox and is 11 months and 20lbs.   As we still search for an explanation for my son I can't help but wonder if he has celiac too.  Could my gluten diet and his own possible intolerance or disease be keeping him under 1 percentile on the charts? Does anyone have any input?
    • Christmas gifts for the Celiac/food allergy community
      This is funny.  Can't believe a few of these are real!
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member