Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Needing Help From Anyone With Corn Problems :(

corn corn intolerance cross reactivity corn syrup baking powder hfcs high fructose corn syrup

• Please log in to reply

17 replies to this topic

#16 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:24 PM

Yeah, it's really hard. A food journal is a great idea. The corn allergy sites are still full of information on where to find hidden corn and there are quite a few people on them who have intolerances instead of allergies. For me, the protein is the problem. That's why corn starch is OK. But those clear plastic bottles you get individual servings of water in make me sick because they are made with corn protein! And I know ascorbic acid does me in because the last corn exposure I had was to a vitamin C capsule and I truly thought I was going to die.

If there is a Shopko near you you can get vitamins though. They have a line called "Shopko Naturals" that contain no gluten, corn, soy, yeast, sugar, dairy, sugar, salt, artificial flavorings or colorings. Maybe you could even order tham from their website. I stock up when they have buy one get one free sales (which they do fairly frequently), and wind up paying about $3.50 for a bottle of 60. Vitamins are really important for folks like us who are on such limited diets.

Bartfull the main question I have I think is what is really the difference between corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup? I have googled it but don't really understand the answers. I KNOW that I cannot have corn syrup. But I still drink sodas and I don't know if the HFCS has more or less corn derivitive than regular corn syrup? I know the caramel color is bad too but I'm seriously addicted to caffeine and until I work it out I am curious how much the HFCS is affecting me. 

"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

I don't know. I have avoided HFCS for years, long before I developed the corn intolerance. I saw a TED Talk a long time ago where a scientist explained that the body can't process the stuff. It's really bad for us (according to him). I believe it. I know an elderly lady who was really really sick until she cut it out.

If you need caffeine, how about coffee or tea? Hot or iced, you'd still be getting the lift. I personally drink LOTS of coffee. Partly for the caffeine, but mostly for the taste. And if I happen to go anywhere at night, I drink defaf because everything else has corn!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#18 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

If you have drunk a lot of high fructose corn syrup; I would watch out for diabetes!  Have you been checked for that?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: corn, corn intolerance, cross reactivity, corn syrup, baking powder, hfcs, high fructose corn syrup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: