#1 Dewey56

Dewey56

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 05:20 PM

Hello to all,

My dh has been ill for several months. He had a bad virus. This also let to depression, anxiety, and we even found out a low testosterone level. He also suffered a great weight loss.

He took a very natural approach to getting better. I believe that some dietary changes, which included cutting out wheat, improved his stomach problems greatly. Our daughter is gluten-free/cf so we are pretty well versed in this area, but I am having trouble fully convincing dh that he should keep away from wheat products.

Tomorrow I go food shopping and will pick up some more ready made gluten-free products. I have been trying to convince him to keep a food diary so that he can chart how well he feels and what he ate.

I think he has a late onset of this, but I don't see much info on that.

I need to know if Spelt flour is ok. I don't give it to my daughter, but he liked some muffins I got and he needs a good substitute and especiallly to put back the weight.

I'll post again at another time with more questions, but thanks for reading this for now.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 06:17 PM

Spelt is not good.....one of the bad grains...very similar to wheat, or as one site puts it:

What is Spelt? Spelt (triticum spelta), an ancestor of wheat, is the most ancient and pure form ... Of all grains spelt is best suited for the human digestive system ...

LOL......best suited for digestive system........haha.....anyway, it's no good....there's a list of good and bad ingredients on this site (celiac.com)...go to site index on the toolbar on the left, go to safe and forbidden ingredients list, and you can find it......

#3 Alexolua

Alexolua

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 09:49 PM

I think he has a late onset of this, but I don't see much info on that.

It can appear later on in life (least the symptons). Happened to me, and pretty sure with a lot of others who post here. =)

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 07:38 AM

Yep, I'm almost completely positive that mine was late onset as well. The only symptom I might have had as a kid was getting sick often, but I was also under a lot of stress and had undertreated asthma, so I don't think that's it. :-) (Yes, I know they can be related, but really, no symptoms that correlated that I can remember.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:27 AM

Late onset for my husband (he was 27). I have a co worker who was about 65 when he came down with celiac disease.

Don't agonize over weight loss so much as to get him going on getting tested to confirm celiac, etc. The sooner he gets diagnosed the better - this way you know for sure. Other health conditions could make you lose weight and you want to be certain you're on the right course.

We do most of our shopping at a natural food store that has groceries, celiac.com and other websites.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:43 AM

He needs to be tested. ALL first degree relatives of somebody with celiac disease should be tested and it sounds like he definitely has the symptoms. Plus he improved when he cut wheat. Late onset is not at all unusual. I was 46. My father was 70. I urge you to get him tested but he must continue eating wheat beforehand.

Spelt is definitely not OK.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: