New Lactose Problems?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_LisaB_*

Guest_LisaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:32 PM

Tiffany,

You can still make kefir with another medium, such as rice milk or even water kefir, the culture can feed on any type of sugar, doesn't need to be milk sugar.

Let me know if you would like to know more about it, it is a way to get the probiotics in without dairy.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 stargirl

stargirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 07:50 PM

If it makes you feel better at all I am also "becoming" lactose intolerant. I never had any problems before going gluten free but about 4 or 5 months in I started feeling a little sick sometimes. I have now been gluten free for ten months and am now lactose sensitive. I can get away with a little but any more than that and it isn't so good.
Inconclusive Blood Results, Positive Dietary Challenge Results
gluten-free since January 2004

#18 cynicaltomorrow

cynicaltomorrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 11:07 PM

Would acidophilous (spelling?) work like lactaid? I have some of those in my fridge.

I started having problems with dairy products after being gluten-free for a few months. I cut out all dairy. But, I was still having some problems. So I started taking milk-free acidophilous everyday. I've been taking it for a few weeks now and have slowly started reintroducing dairy products with no problems. .. Just a thought.

#19 red345

red345

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 October 2004 - 07:41 PM

#20 Nin

Nin

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 07:12 AM

I am also sensitive to casein. My doctor just gave me some new pills and the fine print shows there is lactose in the ingredients. I gather lactose is milk sugar, does anyone know if it still contains casein?
thanks Nin :rolleyes:

#21 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 03:49 PM

while lactose shouldn't contain casein, if you have a very strong allergy to casein, I would avoid it until I contacted the company about contamination. (I'm not sure if lactose is synthetically derived.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#22 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:24 PM

I buy Lactaid Milk and Lactose Free Butter..I can only eat cheese if its baked on something, and even that it doesnt take much to affect me. Its a real pain going to someone else's place, out of town..You cant start carrying milk and butter around with you lol. I never bother with the lactaid pills. i dont think it'd be worth my trouble...
~lisa~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#23 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:30 PM

It's easier to carry little chewable lactaid pills than milk or butter to someone's place, out of town, etc. They do help prevent lactose intolerance reactions. However casein/soy intolerance is another story ... I sure miss ice cream, cheese and butter. :(
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#24 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 05:50 AM

What an great board this is! Okay, so I bought some of those lactaid pills (store brand, actually) and, for the first few days ate them whenever I suspected something I was going to eat had lactose in it. It worked great! So then, I thought, I'd check to see what actually was giving me problems, testing and such. Now, I know, if I'm going to have something like ice cream, I have to take one. Cheese, it depends on the quantity. Just a little doesn't bother me, but lots (I like cheese) will. I keep a couple packets in my purse (with the imodium and migraine meds I've not had to use much at all since going gluten-free. :) ) I use lactaid milk now (and really like that extended expiration date!) So far so good! I'm hoping this goes away as my little villi come fully back to life :D

#25 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 11:00 AM

How would a person be checked for lactose intolerence? I had not thought it was a problem but recently have been really bad stomach ache's after drinking milk. I hesitate to take yet another item off my do not eat list.
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

#26 Guest_sushi_*

Guest_sushi_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2004 - 10:39 PM

I am also becoming more intolerant. I used to be able to eat cheese. It used to give me gas, but now it just goes straight through.

Susette B)

#27 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 02:09 AM

:D funny--i still keep imodium in my purse along with some xanax, just for my own minds protection--i never take them, but i feel that i need them there, just because! deb :P
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: