#1 mmaccartney

mmaccartney

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:17 AM

For those that have DH.

Do the skin lesions/blisters only appear when you have been glutened? Or is there some level/amount of lesions/blisters that are always present even if you are gluten-free?
Michael J. MacCartney

gluten-free 2005-June-24 Dairy free 2005-July-26
gluten / casein intolerant
HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)
Diagnosed Celiac 2006-April-24

Father of:
Michael II HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6) - Allergic to Peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, and milk
William HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5) - Allergy free

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 glutenfreenew

glutenfreenew

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 08:27 AM

i have severe dh and i used to think that i was being glutened everytime i had a break out and couldnt pinpoint what caused it . i come to find out that your body takes years to rid itself of the gluten deposits in your body and breakouts just happen. sometimes stress can bring on mine. i am completely gluten free and very careful but unfortunately the breakouts still come and go. they have been a lot less severe each time. Hope thats helpful

#3 SissySue

SissySue

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:25 PM

For those that have DH.

Do the skin lesions/blisters only appear when you have been glutened? Or is there some level/amount of lesions/blisters that are always present even if you are gluten-free?

I never even knew about gluten until my latest outbreak, and now I have started a gluten-free diet based on the information I have learned about its association with Celiac disease and lymphoma. I always thought (and still do) that my "trigger" is stress. Though I am not very expressive emotionally, I find my skin is a "barometer."

My first year of college my dermatologist gave me samples of Atarax; it was like "a miracle!" Anytime I have an outbreak I reach for the Atarax or the telephone to have my physician call in a prescription for me.

I had been outbreak free for 27 year, and a couple of weeks ago I got this rash that initially I thought was from maybe petting my cat, who runs through poison oak; it took about a week for me to realize this was not poison oak but my old friend DH had returned. I asked for a prescription to be called in for 100 mg Atarax; Wal*Mart was told they could give the generic, so they only had 50 mg tablets of the generic; I took loading doses of 200 mg for the first day and slept almost 24 hours, but I have dropped it down to 100 mg every four hours yesterday and today, and the rash is almost gone, and has not been itching.

I have not tried Dapsone; after reading the side-effects, I think I'll stay with something that I know works and does not have the long-range sid-effects.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:18 AM

I had severe DH from childhood. I was a constant oozing mess. After going gluten-free it actually took about 2 years for the outbreaks to stop. For me even the smallest amount of CC would cause new blisters or a reactivation of any that had almost healed. This lessened after about 6 months when a light bulb went off in my head ( I didn't have the folks here and their great amount of knowledge until I had figured it out on my own almost 2 years after diagnosis) and I started checking everything I touched or came in contact with. Still it would be the first sign of a glutening for over 2 years. Some of the worst offenders for me were cosmetics, shampoos and conditioners, art supplies and grain derived alcohols and vinagers.
Now I am 5 years into gluten free. My DH is now the last thing to appear when I get a good glutening, and even then the sores are small, singular and short lived. Oh and my hair grew back. It does take a long time to clear the deposits out of the skin, and IMHO we need to pay careful attention to when they appear and what we have eaten and come into contact with.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 heathen

heathen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:24 PM

i developed DH after starting the gluten-free diet. I don't notice that it's worse when i'm glutened, but it does flare with stress. Mine doesn't get oozy--only itchy.
Diagnosed Celiac in February 2006
Villus blunting and positive blood test

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: