7 replies to this topic

#1 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:53 PM

Has anyone had the Elyon brand marshmallows? I got them at Whole Foods, I want to make my boyfriend and myself some hot chocolate (we're only gluten free) and I was about to use these marshmallows when I read the ingredients and it says "natural vanilla flavors". Has anyone had these? Do you think I'd be safe since it doesn't have a contains wheat disclaimer the way manufacturers are supposed to?
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_j_mommy_*

Guest_j_mommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2007 - 02:24 PM

I would say it's ok....if you are really doubtful then I would call/email the company. I buy Kraft marshemllows b/c they will always disclose gluten!

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 06:51 PM

Don't know of a marshmallow that isn't gluten-free. Natural vanilla flavors will be OK.

richard

#4 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:13 PM

Just wanted to add my two cents here...

I make homemade marshmallows frequently and they are TO DIE FOR! easy and fabulous. :) Here's the recipe:

MARSHMALLOWS
Cooking spray
Powdered sugar
2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
1 c. water, divided, plus 1 tablespoon
1 cups sugar
1 c. light corn syrup
tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Lightly coat an 11 x 14-inch pan (at least 2 inches deep) w/ cooking spray. Heavily dust the pan w/ powdered sugar, then set aside. [you can use an 8-inch square pan also for thicker marshmallows]

In the bowl of a stand mixer, stir together the gelatin and cup of the water. Let stand 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a heavy 2 qt. saucepan, combine the remaining c. water, sugar, corn syrup and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, over low- to medium-low heat until the sugar has dissolved.

Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil, stirring often. Clip a candy thermometer to side of pan.

Reduce heat to medium, and boil at a moderate, steady rate, stirring frequently until the thermometer registers 230 degrees, about 15 minutes.

Watch carefully to prevent mixture from boiling over. If necessary, reduce heat to medium-low.

With the stand mixer (with whisk attachment), on low- to medium-low, slowly pour the hot sugar mixture into the gelatin mixture. Increase mixer to high, and beat 15 minutes. Mixture should be thick, white and nearly tripled in volume.

Add the vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of water and beat until combined.

Spoon the mixture (it will be very sticky) onto the prepared pan. Let stand, uncovered, overnight.

Loosen mixture from pan by running a knife around the edges.

Invert onto a cutting board dusted with powdered sugar. With a large knife, cut the block of marshmallow into 1-inch squares, and tumble with powdered sugar.
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

#5 Yellow Rose

Yellow Rose

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for the receipe. It looks like fun to make. With all the additives in processed foods my husband and I have deceided to make everything from scratch and he loves marshmallows.
Yellow Rose
27 years of misdiognoses
seziures summer of 1979 lasted 10 years had maybe a dozen in that time Dr.s never could find what was causing them blamed it on lack of sleep and maybe nutrasweet
rheumatoid arthritis May 1980
wrist joint replacement Jan 1984
fibromyalgia May 1980
insomnia since the 80's
diarrhea 1995-2000 blamed on arthritis meds
Crohn's 1998 after two operations to fix fissures caused by the diarrhea
Other symptons over the last 27 years that have been treated for symptoms not causes:
depression, anemia, constipation, tooth discoloration, tremors in hands, tingling and numbness in feet and hands, fatigue, high blood pressure due to arthritus meds, flushing in face, severe muscle pain and thinking I was going crazy thanks to Dr.'s attitudes.

After diognoses my mother tells me I have an aunt and a cousin with Celiac. Mother tested negative but thinks she is intolerant to wheat and is changing her diet.
Suspect all three of my children have it as well but still trying to convince them to go get tested.

In answer to my prayer, "Lord Please Heal My Broken Body". May 2007 Celiac antibody test positive
Matthew 7: 8 Ask and ye shall receive, Seek and ye shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

#6 Arpita

Arpita

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:42 PM

My daughter and I eat the Elyon marshmallows. A while back we checked out and tried several brands and this was the only one that worked out (gluten and dairy free, kosher). We don't eat a lot of processed foods, and don't eat them often -- usually for camping, but haven't had any problems.

#7 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:03 AM

I buy Kraft marshmallows too, and have no problems. Kraft is very good with their labeling.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#8 michelleL

michelleL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 11:10 AM

I bought some marshmellow from Whole Foods and reacted terribly - I can't recall the brand name. They come in a clear plastic tub. I think they may be dusted with flour.... and when something is dusted or coated, it's not necessarily considered an "ingredient" per se and may not be listed, as raisins coated with soybean oil do not have soy listed in their list of ingredients... I'd go with Kraft, since Kraft is very good at disclosing ingredients, or something that's for sure gluten-free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: