CMWeaver

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 11:00 AM

<_<

Hiya...

We are new here. I am 29, awaiting results of my own biopsy. I have twin daughters who just turned 4. One was diagnosed failure to thrive and went through testing. Positive IgG and biopsy. The other, just low positive bloodwork. We have begun a gluten-free diet one week ago. I'm noticing diarrhea in both children today? It's brown but still diarrhea.

I was wondering if this was a "standard" thing perhaps? At this point, I'm still learning....it's a slow go with so much to learn. Any help on the poop issue would be very much appreciated!

Thanks....
Christine

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kabowman

kabowman

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 12:15 PM

Well, I don't know about kids, but it took me weeks to months to fully feel better. There should be an immediate response but the full effect could take some time. I still have bouts after almost 6 months of gluten-free.

This is a great board and I am sure you will get responses from all the wonderful parents online...welcome.

-Kate
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#3 ryebaby0

ryebaby0

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 01:19 PM

Hi Christine--

It could take a few weeks to see a big change in your twins --- if the diarrhea is a new symptom, I'd call your doctor. (Sometimes it's easy to forget that not everything is related to celiac!) Don't give them pepto or immodium unless the doctor okays it (which they probably won't). Give them gatorade, or plain water, or pedialyte to keep them hydrated, and give them smaller, more frequent meals. No soda or popsicles -- high sugar foods only make it worse. Sucking on crushed ice is sometimes a hit (but no ice cubes, too choky), too. Gorilla Munch (a gluten-free cereal) is easy to eat, too, if they want actual food.

Every celiac takes a different amount of time to show positive dietary change, but outside of 3 weeks without any improvement in the symptoms they had prior to going gluten-free you need to go back in. Be aggressive, doctors always like to wait. Keep a food journal and tally the trips to the bathroom. (I had a doctor say "diarrhea, like 3 or 4 trips?" and if I hadn't had the journal to prove the 8-10 trips/24hrs. he wouldn't have believed me!)

Good luck. Let us know how they are doing :)

Joanna
mom and wife to celiacs (my son had "unremitting" diarrhea for 8 weeks before dx)
Mom/wife to celiacs dx 12/03 and 12/04

Success is never final and failure never fatal. It's courage that counts -George Tilton

#4 azedazobollis

azedazobollis

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 02:18 PM

My six year daughter has been completely gluten free since early September. She had positive bloodwork. After three days I was in tears as she had diarrhea for a few days. I questioned whether I was doing it right - whether it was the right thing to go gluten free. Well, at the end of the week, she had her first completely normal poop. No more tummy aches, no more ear infections, behaviorally, she is a new kid, and she's gained 2.6 lbs. I'd call the dr. if they are having several runny poops more than a few times a day more than 48 hours- and if there are any other symptoms like fever. Make sure they are well hydrated and urinating. It may be a shock to their system- and excreting all the "bad" stuff.

Christine
Christine, stay at home mom (Foster Mamma to infants)- Baker and Lactation supporter
Wife to Power Lineman, Chris.
Mom to:
Hollis (10.96) peanut allergy
Zobey (7.98) gluten intolerant & mild allergy to milk and egg whites
Zeda (6.02) dog allergy, hay fever, something else that I just cant figure out yet...?
Annakaya (1.05) milk sensitivity
Kaitlyn (8.06) milk allergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: