4 replies to this topic

#1 orphan annie

orphan annie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 05:45 PM

Hi, I'm very new to celiac disease (actually the testing is next week, but Dr. pretty sure) and wondering if anyone has gained weight prior to finding out--I've put on around 30 pounds but have all the other symptoms of celiac disease.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac3270

celiac3270

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 05:58 PM

That could be from stress...some people gain a lot of weight when they're stressed, as you might be before finding out if you have celiac.

#3 CindyK

CindyK

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 11:39 AM

Hi! You may want to be sure you do not have hypothyroid. It is commonly associated with Celiac and can cause weight gain. I gained some weight prior to learning I have hypothyroid. Once diagnosed and regulated on Synthroid I had no trouble dropping the weight.

#4 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 04:25 AM

;) sometimes we celiacs are different then others--i was heavy before going gluten-free--from what i understand--some of us react differently--when the gluten and our bodies are fighting each other, some of us dont lose weight--our bodies feed off of the fat we take in and we gain--i lost 60# once i found out i had to go gluten-free--my bf often asked me why i was overweight on what i ate and it baffled me too--i have never been a heavy eater--i guess it was just the way my body reacted--hope this is a little comfort to you--deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#5 lpowmacback

lpowmacback

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 06:19 AM

Darlindeb, that's very interesting that you lost weight once on the gluten-free diet...some background info on me: I am 46 and not too long ago found out I had severe osteoporosis (-3.1 in my hips) and I have not gone through menopause yet and don't have any of the typical reasons (anorexia, steroid use, etc.) to have such bad osteoporosis. In any event, celiac disease is highly suspected by my metabolic bone disorder endocrinologist. due to the fact that I've got high vitamin D and high parathyroid levels in my blood... She doesn't think it's due to my parathyroid being faulty... but all due to celiac disease. I took the Prometheus Lab Celiac Serology test last week and am waiting for the results. She actually advised me to continue eating gluten until I've had a biopsy, but after all of the reading, I've decided it was vital to stop ingesting toxic substances (gluten) just in case!!! So, I've been gluten free and have also lost weight EASILY!!!! I haven't been too overweight in my adulthood (althoug quite pudgy as a youth/teen). As an adult I ate very little and had a had time losing the 5 pounds I really should have lost!

I think something is up with gluten being removed from a diet and then being able to eat more normally and maintain a better, more healthy appropriate weight. I wonder how many others have lost weight (in a good way) after going gluten-free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: