2 replies to this topic

#1 Skylarker

Skylarker

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:55 PM

In a recent thread Kathy (ksymonds84) posted about having a bad reaction to lactaid. By coincidence, I had just tried lactaid for the first time, and had a bad reaction each time -- near-instantaneous vomiting the second time. I checked the ingredients and saw nothing indicating gluten.

Wouldn't you know the answer is right here on the forum, in a thread from 2005. http://www.glutenfre....php/t8147.html

Turns out lactaid (and other foods and enzymes) is made by using a mold called aspergillus. I wouldn't have immediately decided this was the villain, except that I took a B-vitamin a few days ago, had a bad reaction, and it turns out that yes, some vitamins are made with aspergillus. (Note: I've been gluten-free about 2.5 weeks, and have never had a bad reaction to this brand of B vitamins before.)

For more info, check the thread cited above. I'll also re-list the aspergillus-containing items from that thread:

PRODUCTS OF ASPERGILLUS FERMENTATION:
SOY SAUCE
CHOCOLATE that includes chocolate liquor
TEA (BLACK)
MALT EXTRACT (MOST CEREALS)
LACTAID (MILK ADDITIVE)
SOME VITAMINS - SOLGAR AND JARROW brands ARE SAFE; MOST ARE NOT
CITRIC ACID (A VERY COMMON FOOD ADDITIVE; NOT DERIVED FROM CITRUS FRUIT)
SOFT DRINKS (Citric acid is made with the aspergillus fermentation process)
FRUIT JUICE (COMMERCIAL-OFTEN MADE FROM MOLDY FRUIT; MANY CONTAIN MOLD ENZYMES ADDED IN PROCESSING)
DIGESTIVE ENZYMES (PANCREATIC ARE ALRIGHT), OTHERS ARE NOT
CHOLESTEROL LOWERING ENZYMES
ACIDOPHILUS WITH F.O.S. (Acidophilus has very healing effects and promotes natural anti-fungals in the body, however, artificially produced F.O.S. is made with the aspergillus fermentation process. If you would like natural F.O.S., you can consume watermelon seeds and reap the same nutritional benefits without any aspergillus fermentation).

Enzymes and what the enzymes are made of:*

Alpha-galactosidase ----- Aspergillus niger
Amylase ----- Bacillus subtilis, Bacillus amyloliquefaciens, Aspergillus oryzae, Aspergillus niger
Amylase ---- (Malt diastase) malt
Amyloglucosidase ---- Aspergillus niger, Rhizopus oryzae
Beta-amylase ---- wheat, Bacillus spp.
Catalase --- Aspergillus niger
Cellulase --- Aspergillus niger, Trichoderma longibrachiatum (reesei)
Glucose oxidase ---- Aspergillus niger
Hemicellulase ---- Aspergillus niger, Trichoderma longibrachiatum (reesei), Aspergillus oryzae, Bacillus subtilis
Lactase ---- Aspergillus oryzae, Kluveromyces lactis
Lipase ---- Aspergillus niger, Arthrobacter ureafaciens, Candida cylindracea, Rhizomucor miehei, Rhizopus oryzae, Rhizopus delemar
Lysophospholipase ---- Aspergillus niger
Pectinase ---- Aspergillus niger, Aspergillus japonicus, Rhizopus oryzae
Phytase ---- Aspergillus niger
Protease, microbial ---- spergillus oryzae, Aspergillus niger, Aspergillus melleus, Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus subtilis, Bacillus thermoproteolyticus, Rhizopus niveus

* As provided by member companies of the Enzyme Technical Association.

revision 1/99

Beano was also mentioned.

Here are some links the original poster referred to:

http://www.enzymetec...ement_list.html

http://www.mold-surv...20FERMENTATION:

Purely in the interest of science (har har), right now I'm testing whether I now react to chocolate liquor (which I confirmed is in my favorite Ritter Sport Marzipan bar).

A big thank you to Stephanie (skbird), who originally posted all of that incredibly useful information.

Marly

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:07 PM

so is this mold harmful to the body, or just causing sensitivity to some people? i've taken lactaid on and off for a few months, and don't seem to have a problem with it.
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#3 Skylarker

Skylarker

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:58 PM

so is this mold harmful to the body, or just causing sensitivity to some people? i've taken lactaid on and off for a few months, and don't seem to have a problem with it.

No, it's only harmful to people who have an allergy or sensitivity.

I didn't know I had one until after being gluten-free for a couple of weeks. I guess this is part of the phenomenon others have also noticed, of becoming more sensitive after going off gluten. I wonder what that's all about.

Marly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: