Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Need To Ship Food To France- What Can And Can't I Send?

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 jasonD2

jasonD2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:40 PM

Anyone know what I can safely send to France? For the most part I just wanted to send dried non perishables, but also wanted to send some canned salmon and vegetables. Would this be a problem? Would french customs open my box and take things out?

Thanks

Russ
Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Had negative celiac blood work in 02

Elevated stool anti-gliadin Ab (21 with 10 being cutoff for normal) - 2008

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Tested high positive for egg, dairy, soy, ginger, mustard - 2008

Lactulose/Mannitol (leaky gut) test indicated slight intestinal permeability

Improved with gluten free diet but still have spastic constipation

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:18 AM

I've heard stories about customs simply taking things if they look valuable enough. I suppose if the things you are sending are hard to obtain in France, someone might take it. Perhaps using plain, uninviting boxes for things would help. I heard someplace that a common trick during war times was to send a ratty old coat that looks like something a homeless person would be wearing. The actual items being sent would be hidden inside the lining. But I'd like to think such measures are unnecessary these days.

Maybe you could put the can of salmon in an old boot just in case?

There are regulations on some food items though, especially fruits, because they can carry pests and such. I'm sure there are websites which provide information on what will not be discarded or refused when it gets to France.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#3 summerteeth

summerteeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:11 PM

My mom often sends food items to my brother and sister in law in Australia. The rules constantly change. Sometimes peanut butter is okay to send. Other times, no. Same thing with, of all things, Ranch dressing. She is not sending anything illegal, but it is very hard to tell what is okay and what is not.

I agree with the above poster, "hide" some of the stuff (i.e., my mom would take a book and put packets of tuna between the pages or wrap items in clothing).
Monica

dx celiac disease- November 1, 2008
dairy/casein free (much to my chagrin) for good- September 1, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: