Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Still Confused About Test Results

5 posts in this topic

My 14 year old was recently diagnosed as gluten intolerant by Enterolab. I'm a bit confused because her blood test came up negative. She has been several different doctors due to health problems and some say that she isn't gluten intolerant unless the blood test is positive. Several people have told me that if you don't have Celiac then you aren't gluten intolerant. My understanding is that Celiac is just when the intolerance has caused damage to your intestines.

My daughter's results showed antigliadin IgA antibody was elevated. She does not have high enough intestinal IgA antibodies to show an autoimmune reaction, which is strange because she has autoimmune symptoms. She also had a positive genetic test which shows that she has the gene predisposing her to both Celiac and gluten insensitivity.

I truly believe that my daughter is sensitive to gluten but I'm trying to figure out an explanation to tell other people how she can be gluten insensitive but not Celiac.

Ads by Google:

As far as I know (which isn't much!), I was under the impression that gluten intolerance is when your body produces a reaction to the presence of gluten, making you sick. Celiac disease is the point at which the villi in the intestines are actually damaged and it is visible. I may be wrong, correct me if I am, but this is what I had read awhile back. I would tell people that your daughter tested positive to having an intolerance to gluten through lab work. Hopefully that will be enough to convince them? Good luck!

The blood tests won't be positive until you have done sufficient damage to your intestines. You can have symptoms before you are sick enough to have a positive blood test.

Now people (doctors and others) are questioning whether or not the stool test is sufficient proof.

Hi I was watching a good video on youtube about celiac.

It's a recording of a presentation by the William K. Warren Medical Research Center for Celiac Disease. In it the director, Martin F. Kagnoff, M.D., talks about different sensitivities to gluten

Celiac - classically the symptoms of intestinal damage and associated diarrhea, nutritional deficiencies, bloating, headaches, and failure to thrive in kids. In this case the blood tests will show high IgA unless there is a deficiency of overall IgA, which has to be tested for. There is also cryptic celiac with few or no symptoms, possibly negative labs and intestinal biopsy. If you did a genetic study these people have the markers though. According to a Mayo study some kind of damage is still happening because people with this kind die earlier than people without any response. Also, lab tests and even intestinal biopsy will be negative if the person has been on a gluten free diet.

Then there is Gluten sensitivity - same symptoms as classical celiac - gas, abdominal bloating and discomfort, diarrhea, headaches and so on, but blood tests are negative. He says at the end in the question time that since gluten molecules are huge it could just be a reaction to a different part of the molecule and wouldn't show with the standard tests. From the doctor's point of view they want to do all the tests including a gluten challenge of two months on gluten then repeating the blood work and intestinal biopsy. The treatment is just gluten dietary avoidance.

Finally he talks about wheat allergy which can be a reaction to other parts of the gluten molecules or other parts of wheat or can be mediated by a different part of the immune system - IgE or T cells. Again as doctors they'd like patients to do the full gluten challenge and testing but the treatment is dietary avoidance. The most dangerous type of this can produce anaphylactic shock in people who exercise after wheat ingestion (!).

Long story short...no test is definitive for all kinds of gluten or wheat reactions. Hope that is helpful.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• A good diet for avoiding type 2 diabetes
      Thanks so much, gluten-free,  in my hypchondriacal panic I saw that website!  It is good to have an endorsement from a celiac.   I remember seeing quite a few reassuring stories in it along the lines that you describe. Funny isn't as because I now feel far less inclined to eat large amounts of carbohydrate now I have cut back a bit.  I think I was totally hooked on sugar.  
    • Celiac.com: Gluten-free not always the way to go
      When people with Celiac Disease eat gluten, their body mounts an immune response that attacks the small intestine and leads to damage to the villi, ... View the full article
    • Newly diagnosed and totally overwhelmed
      It is overwhelming at first but step by step you will begin to find food you like - new naturally gluten free 'clean' food you have never tried before, or gluten free substitutes that taste  almost as good or just as good as the food you miss.   Someone told me one just get used to gluten free bread in the end.  But there are some on the market that are so convincing now they have even fooled my gluten eating family.   (On the subject of bread, one useful tip someone gave me early on is if one toasts gluten free bread it tastes much better.  Others may disagree but I think it does - but you will need your own gluten free toaster.... )   I am also finding that as time goes on there seems to be more and more on offer for us in the shops.  The annoying thing here in the UK is one supermarket does superb ready meals for example, another does great gluten free bread, and another sells delicious gluten free Worcestershire Sauce, but it is hard to find one that sells everything you need under one roof at times.   I don't know if it is like that where you live but if it is like this you will get wise to it and end up getting used to stocking up when the opportunity presents itself. Eating out is often challenging but after not eating out for a while when I was healing I have now found a few restaurants, and a couple are chains, that I can trust.     Lastly, it is always good to have some gluten free snacks - fruits, nuts, bars etc, at the ready when the hunger pangs strike and there is nothing there for you.  I still forget and today went to a museum with my son and had to watch him in the cafe eat his cheese and ham toastie and all I had was a cup of tea!   
    • amalgam dental fillings - remove or not?
      Yes, I meant mercury not lead, thank you for the correction. That's what happens when I stay on the computer until late at night.  The symptoms I have now resemble my gluten reaction and I know it's almost impossible that I would be getting glutened. I remember someone here mentioning that he/she had amalgam fillings removed and it helped, but that was few years back. That's why I posted it here. 
    • Newly diagnosed and totally overwhelmed
      akohlman--I am exactly 1 month from being diagnosed and still going through cleaning out of all the gluten foods from my life. I have really bad Dermatitis Herpetiformis but other wise I had no reason to think I had something like Celiac Disease. That being said, I TOTALLY understand. For me... its hard to be sick and not feel sick if that makes sense.....   I'm going to make the changes. I'm going to live a gluten-free life but like you... I STILL am devastated. I'm overweight... so obviously I don't have a healthy relationship with food, LOL, so I'm DYING at the idea of never eating Pizza Hut, Chili's Pasta, Red Lobster Pasta, McDonalds, etc. I don't care what anyone says.... that is a HUGE adjustment for me and I'm still reeling from the "loss".   That being sad.... I have 3 children and a husband depending on me and I'll do all I can to lengthen my lifespan so.... Here is to new journeys.   YOU ARE NOT ALONE in your sadness!
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
    • ChiaChick  »  Peaceflower

Hi Peaceflower, Just wanted to say thank you for the chat.
      · 0 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Flora Simpson