#1 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,264 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:32 PM

CBC.ca

Should you be eliminating wheat from your child's diet?
CBC.ca
A recent study at the University of Maryland reveals that the prevalence of people suffering from gluten-intolerance and celiac disease has significantly ...
Celiac disease more common than previously believed: Holistic suggestions Examiner.com
Appetite for Awareness Philadelphia Jewish Voice (blog)
South Windsor Start-Up Gluten Free Company Making Big Strides For Celiacs Hartford Courant
Gastroenterology & Endoscopy News (registration)  - San Diego Union Tribune
all 9 news articles »

View the full article
Scott Adams
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 VitaminDGirl

VitaminDGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:59 PM

Are we as forum members, allowed to respond to these articles here? If not, please delete. I'm new here. I see there is not much conversation here...
but I was saddened by the article somewhat making it sound like it could be damaging to take your child off gluten, especially if they haven't tested for celiac...
I was actually told by my daughter's pediatric GI that he felt it cruel to take a child off gluten esp when other kids get to eat it. Told me right in front of her. I was asking for blood tests with possible biopsy in sight. I was thinking how bad of a parent I would be to not take her off of it and see if it helps her health and body.
She deals with constant constipation and ezcema. His cure? Miralax and mineral oil daily. How is that any less cruel than taking my child off gluten/wheat products to see if it helps her system???
Hmmmm...
I hope others might read the article and respond as well.

#3 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:03 PM

Uhm, uh, yeah, we're supposed to comment here if we want. Why would the board owner be wanting to delete a bad article when he can have real life celiacs and gluten intolerants reading them and critiquing all the mistakes, especially when they're that bad.

I have noticed this year after reading dozens of these stories and seeing a few things on video from cable "news" that the Main Stream Media in more than one country apparently has some sort of template for repeating the same misconceptions over and over again. Most of the trash seems to be coming from so - called registered or professional dieticians in the US, the UK, and Canada, altho one of the worst ones was Dr. Nancy Snyderman on MSNBC, (she is their "medical editor", btw) telling a woman that asked that her recently diagnosed celiac husband might not have to stay gluten free for the rest of his life. I was rather astonished there was less outcry over that awful, snotty mistake, if you watch the entire interview you see that "Dr." Snyderman is absolutely clueless on the fact that this is a real autoimmune disease, and not a "lifestyle choice" or "fad diet" being taken up by her neurotic peer group. I felt like I was watching one of the food trolls that lurk on the internet, the ones who tell you there's no relationship between disease and diet, coming out of the closet.

Now on to Dr. Peggy Marcon's bothersome quotes

In fact, she says, gluten-free foods can be quite harmful due to the extra additives and preservatives in gluten-free products like cookies and breads. As well, they are often high in calories sugars and fats to make up for the removal of gluten.

In fact, gluten-free diets are often accompanied by a buyer-beware stigma because many people who go on them gain weight, see an increase in their cholesterol and continue to have vitamin deficiencies since processed gluten-free foods can lack the nutritional benefits found in regular staples such as bread and whole grain rice (which contains no gluten).

If parents suspect their child is gluten intolerant, for which there is no specific test, or would benefit from a healthier diet, Dr. Marcon recommends they consult a doctor to check for the genetic markers of celiac disease and to rule out other common illnesses with similar symptoms, such as irritable bowel syndrome.

Say what ?

There's no test for "gluten intolerance ?"

All celiacs ARE gluten intolerant. What planet is this medical doctor on ?

Does she acknowledge the link between celiac, gluten intolerance, and thyroid disease and weight gain, or is this another imaginary relationship ? When a person's intestinal lining is healed, they begin to absorb nutrients better, and this is why there can be a resulting weight gain. Does she acknowledge that a gluten free diet containing such high protein grains as quinoa and buckwheat, which were mentioned as being used by the person she was criticizing, can be nutritious ?

Is it okay to discover that irritable bowel syndrome can be relieved by a diet change, and to stop eating the offending substances, even if they do happen to be WHEAT for some people and children who otherwise have no diagnosis ?

She ought to realize that with the majority of celiacs still being undiagnosed, and with the difficulty of getting a diagnosis for children, (official diagnosis pending on that intestinal biopsy, after the damage is done) that there is going to be a large population of children of those adults who are also inheriting the same genes.

Telling people to continue to eat foods that make them feel bad is never good medical advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: