Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Major Meltdown Yesterday

28 posts in this topic

For about a week now I have been very depressed, I have been gluten-free since September 13th, (funny how you remember the exact day when you finally find a diagnosis) Anyway I don't know if it is the holiday season, or that at times having Celiac is very overwhelming, but yesterday at work I lost it. For no real reason I started crying and could not stop, I locked myself in the bathroom and just sat there on the floor of the bathroom crying my eyes out, after awhile my boss knocked at the door wanting to talk to me, he is very understanding of everything I am going through, he wanted to send me home, but after a chat with him I decided to stay. I did finish the day, and today I have the day off, so I am looking to my new friends here to tell me I am not crazy and this has happened to someone else. So I am asking has anyone else went on this emotional roller coaster that I am experiencing now. I would appreciate any input, thank you all, this forum has become a second home to me.

I totally understand! I'm trying to be positive, but it is hard. Especially when people have different reactions to it. Have you seen the website "Gluten-free girl and the Chef?" She has a lot of amazing recipes. I just went gluten-free at the end of Nov., so I am new to this. I haven't tried her recipes yet. I think we should try to look at all the things we CAN eat, not what we CAN'T. It's also an opportunity to get creative in the kitchen! I am always on an emotional rollercoaster, so I feel your pain :). Hang in there!!

Ads by Google:

Thank you Thank you to all that have responded. You have made me again realize I am not in this alone. I think alot of the emotional strain right now is that I have always been the "baker girl", in fact Sundays were the days I made homemade bread, cookies, brownies, you name it I baked it. And I have already tried many recipes and shared them with family and friends with great reviews, but nothing will ever take the place of my mom's homemade bread recipe,:( So with the wonderful support of my new Celiac family here, my amazing husband, wonderful daughters, my sweet grandson, and my friends, I will keep goin, just taking it one day at a time. Every day I feel better, I am on the road to good health again and thats all that matters. B)

I have been gluten free for a few months now, and I have had several times where I have started crying because it just all seems like too much sometimes!! I am half Italian, and eating pasta, crusty italian bread, pizza, etc has been part of my life for as long as I can remember. I also used to love to cook, and now it just seems like so much work to make sure that every ingredient is gluten free. Sometimes I miss the "comfort" food, grilled cheese, mac and cheese, pizza, and I know there are substitutes, but it just isn't the same. My husband is great, but I know it can get old with me always asking "is it gluten free?" In the scheme of thinks, life could be so much worse, so I do count my blessings every day. I agree with another post that says it is heathy to just cry and get it out. Hope it helps to know you are not alone, I know it helped me to read your post.

This was me 4 years ago. But cooking gluten free comfort foods has become my passion. I even started a blog so I could keep track of all my recipes for my kids, since they inherited bad genes from me, I wanted to make sure they can cook all the foods they love when they grow up and are on their own. Honestly, the home made gluten-free versions of grilled cheese, pizza and mac & cheese are as good as I remember. I was only diagnosed a few months ago, but my kids were diagnosed 4 years ago. SO I had the real thing not that long ago. I did a fair comparison to work out the kinks in my cooking by doing back to back taste testing (something I can't do anymore, but now I make my husband do it.)

If you really like to cook, it's almost more fun, because it's like a chemistry experiment. With wheat flour, it doesn't matter what you are making, for the most part. If you're making bread, add yeast to get it to rise. If you're baking sweets, add baking powder. That's kind of it. But with gluten-free baking and cooking, you have SO many flours to choose from and depending on what you're making, you can pick and choose the ones with the right properties and textures to get what you're looking for.