This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Two Different Answers From Same Company!

Guest gillian502

Guest gillian502

Over the past month I have noticed a disturbing trend when calling the food companies to check on their products: I am getting two different answers depending on who I talk to!

A month ago I had severe diarrhea after eating two types of Jimmy Dean sausage-the pre-cooked and the uncooked. I called the company and was re-assured the pre-cooked was gluten-free, as well as the uncooked. I asked them to send a lettter stating all of their gluten-free sausage. Well, the letter came, stating, "Our uncooked sausages are gluten-free, however, our pre-cooked sausages are NOT gluten-free." The people on the phone told me one thing, the letter said the total opposite.

Then, I called Kaopectate to check on their gluten-free status. The lady on the phone assured me it was gluten-free. I waited, called back a few days later, and a second person told me she would research that because there was no information available. She called me back to inform me kaopectate is NOT gluten-free!

So...what are we supposed to think, here? I feel like I can't trust ANY of the products now. And companies like Kraft who tell you to just look at their labels because they will put stuff in parenthesis if it comes from wheat just make me nervous. I prefer a product by product answer. Anyone else encounter this kind of inconsistency?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SadiesMomma Apprentice

I know it sounds like a pain in the rear... but trust NO ONE! Most people dont understand how important it is for us to remain gluten-free, and many could really care less sadly to say. Its their job, no ones perfect...

I stick to this theory:

"If I dont know 100% that it wont make me sick, I wont eat it"

I have learned not to trust anyone but other celiacs because you guys and gals understand the importance it is... Good luck!

Guest gillian502

But then how do we eat anything? I always thought calling the company was the safest method, as well as checking the ingredients list. Now I feel like these companies don't know their own products, so, that leaves no food for the rest of our lives except fresh meat, vegetables, and fruit, and I know I can't go too long without at least some canned or frozen foods. It's so frustrating!

Guest Libbyk

It seems to me that getting a company to send you a WRITTEn list of their gluten-free products is a more reliable way of getting the info. the person on the phone may not care, or be tired, or read it to you wrong, but if they put it in writing, a company tends to be a lot more particular about the details. If nothing else, because in our litigious society, writng things down puts them at risk for a lawsuit if it wrong. Just my theory

Libby

Guest jhmom

Libby,

I was thinking that very same thing. The problem is sometimes we are in such a hurry we just call their 800#, I think I will try to start planning ahead more often and get it in writing.

Guest gillian502

I just wish more companies would put in in writing. About 70% I've spoken to so far won't, probably because they are afraid of a lawsuit. If I'm given two opposing answers about a product as I have been given lately, I don't even take the chance anyway. It just makes me wonder how many times I've taken a representative's word for something that is wrong and haven't realized it!

Guest Libbyk

what I have done is to call the 800# (I am pretty lazy, jhmom) and ask my question AND ask for any written info they have. Not all, but a number of companies (hormel, wild oats, etc) have offerd to email or mail me a written list of their gluten-free products.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived