#1 FaithInScienceToo

FaithInScienceToo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:30 PM

SHOOT!

I just bought 3 bags of their chips, thinking that they were gluten-free because a few of their flavors state "NOT Gluten-free" under the ingredient list...SO, I assumed the ones that didn't say "Not gluten-free" were gluten-free...

To double-check, though, before consuming any, I went to their web site's FAQs page just now and found this:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are your products Gluten Free?
Our products are processed on equipment shared with ingredients that contain small amounts of wheat. We do not recommend that people who are sensitive to wheat or gluten eat these products.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHOOT!

I have to give them away now....

At least I am visiting my bro and sis-in-law tomorrow and her 3 kids :-)
They'll be thrilled! :-)

THIS is one thing my family likes about my having had to share with them that I am 'a Celiac'...they keep getting the food I impulsively buy when I'm out shopping and hungry, in hopes I can actually eat it...

I will have to learn to stick to a 'known gluten-free' list, before they start expecting this to continue! :-)

OK...back to the kitchen...for the month-old plain-old corn chips to go with my rare Pepsi...

Gina

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for letting us know. Sorry you can't have them :( I know how annoying it is
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#3 FaithInScienceToo

FaithInScienceToo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:44 PM

OK...I'm in heaven now....I fixed the problem...

Annie's Organic Black Bean refried beans are being nuked, Organic Muir Glen mild salsa and organic sour cream are waiting, along with my taste buds....and those old chips will be yummy and nutritious, too! :-)

Problem solved!

...though still mad at Kettle Brands for not listing 'manufactured on machines touching wheat products' on their bags...there should be a law...

;-) Gina

#4 Merika

Merika

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:33 PM

Hi Gina,

Well, this may be celiac sacrilige, but my gluten-free son eats those Kettle Chips. I talked with the company and ONE of their flavored products in ONE size bag uses wheat. They run the plain chips before they run the flavored ones, and they wash the lines too. They told me they decided to take a hard-core stance on the gluten issue.

This is the same sort of decide-for-yourself dilemma we are faced with everytime we eat a product that is not produced in a gluten-free factory, which is most everything IMO.

I remember when i first saw the label too - I was shocked because we'd been eating them. Turns out that for about a year, only the large size bag had the gluten label. It took them a while to change over all the bags to contain the label.

So, judge for yourself, and eat at your own risk, lol.
Merika

#5 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:01 PM

Yeah, it may be a CYA thing. ;)

#6 anerissara

anerissara

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:09 PM

I actually did have a nasty reaction to Kettle Chips, maybe the one size bag and one type chip was the one I got...but it didn't look suspect in any way at all when I read the lable. I was pretty sick from them, though, so I'd advise eating Kettle Chips with caution. Which is too bad, cause they are really good!
"I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.'" -Psalm 91

gluten-free since January 26th, 2005
Feeling up and down, but better!

Mommy of a gluten-free 8 yr old, a 6 yr old who (much to her dismay) will be gluten-free soon and a 2 yr old who is so far symptom-free. Contemplating putting the whole family on the gluten-free diet since crumbs have become my nemisis!

#7 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:44 AM

gina-
i know that stinks... i had loved those chips before going gluten-free and hated to give them up :(
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#8 reneeceanna

reneeceanna

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:44 AM

Note - I just visited the Kettle FAQ Page and this is what they ahve said about Gluten Products:

"Are your products gluten free?
All Kettle Brand® Potato Chips (including our Kettle Brand® Baked, Organic, and Krinkle Cut Potato Chips) are gluten free and processed in a gluten free environment. Our other products (Kettle Brand® Tortilla Chips, and Kettle Brand® Roaster Fresh® Nut Butters) are processed on equipment shared with ingredients that contain very small amounts of wheat. The gluten is in our Kettle Brand® Multi Grain Tortilla Chip flavor and a few of our Kettle Brand® Roaster Fresh® Trail Mixes. We thoroughly clean our lines after each flavor run, but there is a slight potential of cross contamination with tortilla chips and nut products. For your convenience we do list all ingredients on the packaging. "
Cheers,
Renee

Gluten Free since July, 2009

#9 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:25 PM

I bought a bag of Kettle Chips while on vacation, I always eat regualr chips. The Kettle Chips made me sick, I will not try them again.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#10 RESO

RESO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:12 PM

Faith,
My two cents would be to save your receipts when you buy stuff. I have never had a problem with returning something to a store as long as I haven't opened it and have the receipt. I have asked at many markets (from mom and pops to chains) when I am not sure about a product I want to purchase if it is ok if I return the product with receipt unopened if I find that it contains something I cannot eat, and I have always been able to return stuff. gluten-free diet costs so much anyway, don't waste your money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: