Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Kettle Brand Chips, And All Of Their Products

10 posts in this topic

SHOOT!

I just bought 3 bags of their chips, thinking that they were gluten-free because a few of their flavors state "NOT Gluten-free" under the ingredient list...SO, I assumed the ones that didn't say "Not gluten-free" were gluten-free...

To double-check, though, before consuming any, I went to their web site's FAQs page just now and found this:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are your products Gluten Free?

Our products are processed on equipment shared with ingredients that contain small amounts of wheat. We do not recommend that people who are sensitive to wheat or gluten eat these products.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHOOT!

I have to give them away now....

At least I am visiting my bro and sis-in-law tomorrow and her 3 kids :-)

They'll be thrilled! :-)

THIS is one thing my family likes about my having had to share with them that I am 'a Celiac'...they keep getting the food I impulsively buy when I'm out shopping and hungry, in hopes I can actually eat it...

I will have to learn to stick to a 'known gluten-free' list, before they start expecting this to continue! :-)

OK...back to the kitchen...for the month-old plain-old corn chips to go with my rare Pepsi...

Gina

Thanks for letting us know. Sorry you can't have them :( I know how annoying it is

OK...I'm in heaven now....I fixed the problem...

Annie's Organic Black Bean refried beans are being nuked, Organic Muir Glen mild salsa and organic sour cream are waiting, along with my taste buds....and those old chips will be yummy and nutritious, too! :-)

Problem solved!

...though still mad at Kettle Brands for not listing 'manufactured on machines touching wheat products' on their bags...there should be a law...

;-) Gina

Hi Gina,

Well, this may be celiac sacrilige, but my gluten-free son eats those Kettle Chips. I talked with the company and ONE of their flavored products in ONE size bag uses wheat. They run the plain chips before they run the flavored ones, and they wash the lines too. They told me they decided to take a hard-core stance on the gluten issue.

This is the same sort of decide-for-yourself dilemma we are faced with everytime we eat a product that is not produced in a gluten-free factory, which is most everything IMO.

I remember when i first saw the label too - I was shocked because we'd been eating them. Turns out that for about a year, only the large size bag had the gluten label. It took them a while to change over all the bags to contain the label.

So, judge for yourself, and eat at your own risk, lol.

Merika

I actually did have a nasty reaction to Kettle Chips, maybe the one size bag and one type chip was the one I got...but it didn't look suspect in any way at all when I read the lable. I was pretty sick from them, though, so I'd advise eating Kettle Chips with caution. Which is too bad, cause they are really good!

gina-

i know that stinks... i had loved those chips before going gluten-free and hated to give them up :(

Note - I just visited the Kettle FAQ Page and this is what they ahve said about Gluten Products:

"Are your products gluten free?

All Kettle Brand

I bought a bag of Kettle Chips while on vacation, I always eat regualr chips. The Kettle Chips made me sick, I will not try them again.

Faith,

My two cents would be to save your receipts when you buy stuff. I have never had a problem with returning something to a store as long as I haven't opened it and have the receipt. I have asked at many markets (from mom and pops to chains) when I am not sure about a product I want to purchase if it is ok if I return the product with receipt unopened if I find that it contains something I cannot eat, and I have always been able to return stuff. gluten-free diet costs so much anyway, don't waste your money.