3 replies to this topic

#1 aroche84

aroche84

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

I am new to the Gluten Free world but my neighbor made this for me and it was sooooo good and I was instantly full!!!

Items needed:
1 head of cabbage
Butter
Olive Oil
Garlic
Chicken
Worcheshire (optional)

Take a head of cabbage and depending on how many people you are cooking for cut 1/4, 1/2, or the whole head into 1/4 inch thick strips and set aside.

Whether you choose to take the quick method and purchase a rotisseri chicken or if you want to cook your own chicken either way will work great. Shread the chicken and put aside in a bowl.

In a large saucepan put 2 pats of butter, a turn of the pan of evoo, and garlic (I usually put a tablespoon worth but depending on how much you like garlic you can play with this part)

Let the butter melt down and the garlic start to brown, then add the shredded cabbage make sure you turn it a few times to make sure it is coated with the oil/butter/garlic mixture. Salt and Pepper as you would like. I usually cook it on medium high and let it wilt down turning it every few minutes. When the cabbage has completely wilted down add the cooked chicken in and simmer for just a few more minutes.

*At this point you can add the worchesire if you want a little extra kick I usually add 1/4 tbsp per 1/4 head of cabbage!!!

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did, I serve it without anything else because it is so filling!!!!

~*Ashley*~

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 freeatlast

freeatlast

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:00 AM

Thanks, Ashley. This does look good. I have never thought about cooking cabbage that way. I may try it soon. Take care.
Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

#3 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

I've cooked cabbage this way before using both green and red cabbage. I've added onions and carrots to it before. This sounds like a recipe you can play around with.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#4 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:09 PM

this sounds good (and I don't think I have any/ too much problem with any of the ingredients), so I'm gonna have to try it!! Thanks for sharing! :D
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: