#1 anna34

anna34

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

Took DS to GI today.

Symptoms: frequent (3-6/day) diapers, never solid always mushy if not watery, undigested food in diaper, very foul smell, back to back mushy full diapers, always hungry, dark circles, belly off/on distended, stool sample showed undigested sugars

Of note: DD has celiac, pretty sure I do too, DS is of normal weight/height

Also of note: When DS was unintentionally off of gluten for 2 days a few weeks ago, he had a somewhat formed poop at the end of the second day.

GI told me he has Toddler's Diarrhea, fructose malabsorption. I'm to eliminate all fruit and fruit juice for 1-2 weeks to see if it makes a difference. If there's no change in his diapers, then he'll do a scope. I was told that toddlers' intestines cannot handle much fruit but by the time they're four years old they can.

I understand how too much fruit could give anyone diarrhea and I also understand that some people have problems with fructose. DS eats a varied diet and fruit has been a part of it, but not a disproportionate part of it. :blink:

Has anybody else been given this diagnosis for their child recently? What do you think? It doesn't hurt to eliminate fruit for a bit to see what happens, but I wasn't expecting this today.
blood test "borderline" (February 2011)
no further testing
gluten-free (March 2011)
positive response

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

Lately, no. I haven't heard any ridiculous explanations for baby D from Peds. But I got my share when DS was a newborn.

I vividly remember hearing thatilk protein didn't cause cramping and C. Funny, D went away when I stopped eating casein (breastmilk) and subbed with Nutirimiagen (or whatever that awful super processed formula was).

Try it for a few weeks to humor him/her and get the endoscopy (I'm assuming s/he meant endoscopy to look for Celiac. I would normally reco changing docs but if you're 2 weeks away from getting a scope I'd just stick with it and get it. Will s/he order bloodwork? I know the chance is slim it would be + but its worth a try?
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

I keep hearing this toddler's diarrhea diagnosis, almost as frequently as IBS, and it sounds like a very similar way to dismiss symptoms in toddlers that they don't know the cause of. :o I agree with pricklypear to hang in their and try and get the endoscopy (make sure he takes at least 6 samplels), but I would also try and get the blood testing for celiac too. And not just the tTG but the DGP which is more definitively celiac and is a better test for children. Ask for the DGP IgA and IgG and a total serum IgA.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

At least THIS ped gave an explantion of what "Toddler's Diarrhea"is!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: