Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gi Today - Told Me Ds Has "toddler's Diarrhea"

4 posts in this topic

Took DS to GI today.

Symptoms: frequent (3-6/day) diapers, never solid always mushy if not watery, undigested food in diaper, very foul smell, back to back mushy full diapers, always hungry, dark circles, belly off/on distended, stool sample showed undigested sugars

Of note: DD has celiac, pretty sure I do too, DS is of normal weight/height

Also of note: When DS was unintentionally off of gluten for 2 days a few weeks ago, he had a somewhat formed poop at the end of the second day.

GI told me he has Toddler's Diarrhea, fructose malabsorption. I'm to eliminate all fruit and fruit juice for 1-2 weeks to see if it makes a difference. If there's no change in his diapers, then he'll do a scope. I was told that toddlers' intestines cannot handle much fruit but by the time they're four years old they can.

I understand how too much fruit could give anyone diarrhea and I also understand that some people have problems with fructose. DS eats a varied diet and fruit has been a part of it, but not a disproportionate part of it. :blink:

Has anybody else been given this diagnosis for their child recently? What do you think? It doesn't hurt to eliminate fruit for a bit to see what happens, but I wasn't expecting this today.

Ads by Google:

Lately, no. I haven't heard any ridiculous explanations for baby D from Peds. But I got my share when DS was a newborn.

I vividly remember hearing thatilk protein didn't cause cramping and C. Funny, D went away when I stopped eating casein (breastmilk) and subbed with Nutirimiagen (or whatever that awful super processed formula was).

Try it for a few weeks to humor him/her and get the endoscopy (I'm assuming s/he meant endoscopy to look for Celiac. I would normally reco changing docs but if you're 2 weeks away from getting a scope I'd just stick with it and get it. Will s/he order bloodwork? I know the chance is slim it would be + but its worth a try?

I keep hearing this toddler's diarrhea diagnosis, almost as frequently as IBS, and it sounds like a very similar way to dismiss symptoms in toddlers that they don't know the cause of. :o I agree with pricklypear to hang in their and try and get the endoscopy (make sure he takes at least 6 samplels), but I would also try and get the blood testing for celiac too. And not just the tTG but the DGP which is more definitively celiac and is a better test for children. Ask for the DGP IgA and IgG and a total serum IgA.

At least THIS ped gave an explantion of what "Toddler's Diarrhea"is!