2 replies to this topic

#1 JaneWhoLovesRain

JaneWhoLovesRain

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

Does anyone find that their rash feels like sandpaper, very rough? As I run my hand over my lower back it reminds me so much of sandpaper. Maybe it is because these tiny little blister things have popped and now have scabs on them and that is creating a rough feeling. Sorry, that sounds kind of yukky!! My other rashy area don't feel quite that bad.

Overall my rash seems to be much better. I am still itching but it is definitely clearing up and my back doesn't feel as much like sandpaper as it did last week. Last Tuesday I started taking claratin twice a day at the direction of the nurse practitioner and after about 4 days I noticed a big difference. Then I stopped the claritin. Yesterday or Monday I started itching again but no new breakouts. Don't know if its related to the claratin or not or if it is because I ate a mini-oreo over the weekend as a test.

Still don't know what I have. I had a biopsy last week and will get results next week.
Gluten free since 2010 when it was suggested that my vertigo/dizzy problems may be from gluten. Tested negative for DH in April of 2012. However I'm not convinced I don't have DH as pictures and description pretty much match what I have.
11/2012 tested positve for 1 of the 2 celiac genes

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

Yes, I know the sandpaper feeling. I had it in my pits!

Keep the scabs moisturized. I used Vanicream and petroleum jelly, at times. Several times a day.

My derm had me on steroids and antihistimines. Steroids helped - shots didn't do a thing but prednisone knocked it out (also made me nuts, along with the shots). After the pred he put me on a class 1 and 2 antihistimine that seemed to help tamp it down, as well as using a steroid cream. The combo kept it from covering my whole body again, but I never healed on it until I went gluten-free.

I have noticed, now that I'm gluten-free, that antihistimines work well for my seasonal allergies - whereas they didn't before. Plus, they seem to dampen an ai attack. My ND told me that's because they are immune suppressants.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

Yep, the sandpaper feeling. Had it all around my neck. Now it's my back. Prickly's miracle cure --- Vanicream. They get to that stage where there's the tiny dot of scab or whatever & your clothing rubs against it & it's irritating as heck. Vanicream does the job.

I was wondering about you today Jane. Wondering when you will get your biopsy results back.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: