6 replies to this topic

#1 sorairobara

sorairobara

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

I've had roommates for the last two months for the first time since going gluten free and was doing good keeping the kitchen clean and feeling good until the second week of classes.

We keep dishes and food separate. My silverware is in a microwave cart away from everything else. I move all dishes they leave in the sinks or counters to the dishwasher which I don't use. I wipe down the counters and scrub the sinks multiple times everyday. I've started doing before each time I get anything out. We have separate dish towels and brushes.

I'm having some issues with the roommates and asked them to keep up with the kitchen because it was making me sick. They said they would and that they wipe down the counters everytime but neither are true and dishes haven't been done in over a week now and the dishwasher can't be closed anymore and I'm running out of space to stack all of their stuff.

What more could I do to keep things clean? Before school started I did everyones dishes and all the cleaning but I just don't have time and I don't think it'll get through to them to keep up with cleaning the kitchen until I get sick or past my breaking point of patience.

I don't want to cause drama with the roommates and just keep their stuff out of the way and my areas as clean as I can expecting/knowing that the roommates won't clean as much as they say they do.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

Honestly, I doubt they'll ever do what is necessary to live safely and courteously with a Celiac. Of course, I could be absolutely wrong-but thinking back to my college days-people were either on the clean wagon or off, and if they aren't on I sincerely doubt they'll start now.

I'd just suck it up and do whats necessary to keep myself safe. Some days that would mean cleaning the entire kitchen.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,695 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

Get a couple of big tubs with lids and put their dishes in them and stick them in their rooms. Or put your own personal cooking supplies in one and put that in your room with the door locked. You could also go the route of getting rid of all but one or two sets of everything they use, like 2 plates, 2 glasses, 2 coffee mugs, 2 spoons etc in the shared kitchen and keep the things you use in your room. That way they will have to do their dishes to be able to eat.
It is too bad you took responsibility for doing the kitchen duties before classes started cause you spoiled them and they will likely expect you to do all of it for ever.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 sorairobara

sorairobara

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

I do all the cleaning around here for everything. We all have normal allergies I just prefer to keep the place clean instead of popping tons of allergy pills.

I don't have confirmed celiacs but a confirmed wheat allergy with celiacs symptoms so im completely gluten free.

I don't think they've been using flours at all but could other things be getting into the air by just being left sitting in an open dishwasher? Something obviously caused my insides to turn to yellow mush and was super tired with headaches and sick in the mornings. Finally feeling closer to normal again and trying to keep it that way.

#5 Chad Sines

Chad Sines

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

Maintaining celiac precautions ultimately has to fall onto the person with the issue. I am not sure you really can ask a roommate (non-spouse/child) to go above and beyond what a regular college roommate would do. Each of us has to take on the role of protecting ourselves, making sure we have safe food when we go to events, etc. I just do not think we can expect others to do this for us. If the roles were reversed I am not sure I would be willing to avoid flour, use special dishes, etc, especially not when I was in college.

#6 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

On the other hand, roommates that let their crap pile up until its overflowing onto the counter and overflowing the dishwasher are being downright nasty and rude, completely aside from the gluten issue. I second the suggestion that you remove all but two of everything, if it's all yours. Then they'll have to wash to eat. If it's all theirs, put it in a bin in their room, and tell them before you do.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#7 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

Are you in housing that is associated with the university/college you're attending, or is it a private apartment that you rented? If it's on campus you should be able to talk to the housing office about the issues and your illness. They would be expected to find you another living arrangement considering the circumstances.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: