2 replies to this topic

#1 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

http://indianapublic...old-corn-36968/

With the drought decreasing the state’s corn supply, the Food and Drug Administration is allowing grain companies to blend corn with higher levels of mold into livestock feed.

The drought that gripped Indiana throughout the summer dealt corn producers a huge blow, dropping production to its lowest level in decades. Purdue veterinary professor Jonathan Townsend says even the corn that did survive was more at risk for a mold called aflatoxin.

“Basically the corn’s own immune system, if you want to think of that way, is decreased or depressed and allows mold to grow more so than in normal years,” he says.

In a normal year, corn with more than 20 parts per billion of aflatoxin is automatically thrown out. But with much less corn on the stalk, the FDA is granting waivers to hard-hit states, including Indiana.

Producers can now blend corn with higher amounts of mold into livestock feed, though the finished product must still register fewer than the 20 parts per billion. Townsend says the resulting feed is safe, but he is still cautioning farmers, particularly those who do not buy from the big grain elevators.

“They have home-harvested corn or corn silage, they need to be watching very closely for levels of aflatoxin in their home produced corn,” he says.

Townsend says aflatoxin is particularly dangerous in dairy cows because the mold can get into milk.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

oh thats not good :o

#3 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

I don't know if this contributes to the discussion or not, but I could not help wondering out loud why the heck we are feeding corn to dairy cows.

Cows were not designed to digest corn and don't really thrive on it though it makes them pile on fat in feedlots.

I'm thankful to live in an area where I can find local grass fed beef, and we have a local dairy that sells raw goat milk from goats eating a natural diet.

Aflatoxin is scary stuff. Higher levels will also find their way into dog and cat food which is dangerous for them. I don't know why we are feeding THOSE animals corn either, especially cats who are obligate carnivores.

Ugh.

Sorry, being an agriculture major makes this a topic of interest for me, LOL. :ph34r:
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: