3 replies to this topic

#1 AfterAll

AfterAll

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:02 AM

There was a segment about Celiacs and gluten-free foods.

It was in the second half hour. I am sure it is available on NBC.com if you want to watch it. It was interesting and made me mad all at the same time. They interviewied this random couple in a MLB baseball park who were waiting in line for the gluten-free food. They asked why they were eating that and the girl said because it is healthier. When asked what Gluten was, they both kind of just looked at the camera, dumbfounded.

They also covered how the availability of gluten-free foods is a major food trend right now that they expect to die down within the next 2 years and will be replaced with a new fad diet.

It makes me so mad that people think this is a fad diet. It is not. My hair was falling out, I was depressed, exhausted, my joints were killing me, and now I need to check the labels on every single thing that I eat for the rest of my life... fad diet, my as$!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

Well, the reporter obviously had a point of view which it seems he got across quite successfully. It is pretty bad when a reporter has such a bias. And yes, it does make your blood boil :ph34r:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 AfterAll

AfterAll

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

I didn't really think that it was biased... they were talking about how it is a necessary diet for about 1% of the population, but for everyone else... they are jumping on this as a fad, thinking that it is a "magic bullet" to weight loss when in reality, there is really no evidence showing that it will help with weight loss. They said that gluten free junk food is still junk food... so is no healthier than anything else.

#4 killernj13

killernj13

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

I will not watch the Today Show anymore because of the way they treated Ann Curry, but to make it worst they replaced her with Savanha Gutrie.
Who when doing a story on gluten free foods rolls her eyes and called celiac disease a trendy disease.

This does piss me off as well when it is called a fad diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: