arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Who Is The Best Person To Check Vitamin Levels?

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 megsybeth

megsybeth

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:54 AM

I'm very recently diagnosed with celiac and I kind of took the express train to treatment with the gluten-free diet. I posted on another thread but basically I started researching celiac during the testing of my 4yo son. I was shocked to see myself so clearly in a lot of the descriptions. I emailed my primary doctor and she ordered a celiac panel which came back positive (conclusive levels). I still haven't gotten in to see her (I was diagnosed three days ago) and she wanted to refer me to a gi, still will I guess. But I emailed her and asked if I could go gluten-free because I am breast feeding. Right now I can't wean because it is very emotionally jarring in my experience and I just can't go on nursing him with gluten in my system knowing that doing that might have stunted his brother's growth and development already.

My primary is great and said she understood and that she should technically have me go for biopsy after staying on gluten but in my case I could go gluten-free.

So will the GI check my vitamin levels? Primary? Who is the best person to ask?

Thanks!
Megan

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mommyof4

mommyof4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

Your primary care doctor should be able to check your vitamin levels...you could certainly mention it to the G.I.doctor when you meet with him/her. Also, are they scheduling a biopsy pretty soon? I only ask because going gluten-free can change the results depending on how much damage is already done & how quickly you heal.

I understand the fear with nursing...I nursed all 4 of my babies(last one 8 years ago) & I was very likely undiagnosed Celiac then. I am almost 1 year post-diagnosis. Just relax though, you are heading in the right direction.

I didn't see your earlier post, is your 4 year old Celiac? I made that assumption.

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

Sounds like you have a great primary - I'd ask her to order the tests. That way you'll have the results when you consult with GI and if you are deficient you can start supplementing to help from becoming more deficient.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: