Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Dairy Intolerance - When And What Dairy Have You Successfully Added Back In?

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 JT09

JT09

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

Ive recently been diagnosed Celiac. A gluten free diet made me feel about 75% better (was still experiencing diarrhea and gas) but I have come to realize that a gluten and dairy free diet has made me feel 100% better

Heres my question... I have a friend who was diagnosed Celiac as a kid and says she is gluten free and dairy free but can tolerate goat yogurt and cheese... I would love to be able to eventually add a few things back into my sadly scarce diet but Im unsure of when to try (my gut definitely needs healing time - Im even having a hard time digesting apples at the moment) and was wondering how many of you are able to tolerate goat yogurt and cheese or anything else for that matter. Ive been told hard cheeses like cheddar are typically easier to digest as well? Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

I was always able to tolerate cheese, yogurt, butter; had to eliminate milk, ice cream, cream, frozen yogurt. Have successfully recincorporated all dairy back into my diet.

For most of us it is the lactose (milk sugars) we have problems with as the site for the production of the digestive enzyme for that is at the tips of the villi which are destroyed by the gluten. A different set of enzymes deals with the casein (protein) part of the milk. Cheese and yogurt have their own cultures/enzymes which digest most of the lactose and which is the reason some of us lucky ones can tolerate them, and butter has most of the lactose totally churned out of it.

As for when you can add (or attempt to add) these back in, it depends on how long it takes for your gut to heal. I have seen it recommended that you wait at least six months. I waited a couple of years.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 a1956chill

a1956chill

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

I also have been able to add dairy back in to my diet.

It took me awhile to find all my intolerances but once I did and my gut had a chance to heal I was able to add back dairy. Currently I eat cheese, yogurt,butter and cottage cheese on a daily basis . I was dairy free about 2 years before I even attempted to add any dairy back .

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#4 JT09

JT09

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

Thank you for the replies! I didnt realize that 6mo-a few years seems to be the norm for gut healing. Looks like im going to have to find some good alternatives in the meantime!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: