4 replies to this topic

#1 Ninja

Ninja

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

I can't believe it, but in about one month it'll be my one-year gluten-free anniversary. :-) Quick update:

- I'm still growing, though it's slowing down. I started at 5'4" and I'm now about a half an inch shy of 5'7". I didn't think that was possible at my age!
- GI symptoms totally gone, 'cept the occasional glutening.
- The rash (which I'm almost certain is DH) is relatively under control. It is very sensitive to iodine in addition to gluten.
- No headaches, migraines, nerve pain or tingling, exhaustion, weird "illnesses" (I've gotten sick once in the past 11 months and it was just a cold!), nausea, brain fog, everything is GONE! I was actually diagnosed with sensory processing disorder when I was little and even that has gotten much better! I'm in awe of how amazing I feel! 11 months ago I never would have believed it.
- I can tolerate lactose (in moderation). :-)

I was blood tested in October 2011 which was negative, but at that time I was gluten-lite and my doctor did not inform me that I needed to stay on gluten. Therefore, my primary doctor has told me not to go back on gluten, saying that she thinks it sounds like celiac, and we should wait until better testing comes out. I have a GI doctor appointment in January just to see if I should be doing anything else and/or getting his opinion.

I'm thrilled: I can live my life, handle stress and stay healthy and on top of things. Thank you to everyone who helped me through this. The vitamin, probiotic and digestive enzyme suggestions were invaluable and made such a huge difference. I'm so grateful. I wish I could give everyone hugs! THANK YOU!

Laura

P.S. For those of you struggling right now: things do get better! It is slow, but persistence and patience will both be your friends through the healing process. And questions! Ask lots of questions!

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

Oh, I am so pleased for you Laura :D What a difference that has made to your life. I am so glad the people on the forum were of help to you and I wish you continued good health and happiness, and a joyous Christmas. Hugs right back atcha.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

Laura
This is brilliant, what a wonderful change for you
:)

Thanks for sharing your story, this newbie is very happy to hear a good outcome.

Wishing you the best for 2013
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#4 Madagascar

Madagascar

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

i'm just a month into it and am so glad to hear your story. thanks for the inspiration - and good luck to you!
Childhood: canker sores, zillions of cavities, and multiple dental enamel defects (not decay). Acne began at age 9, became cystic acne at 15ish, was bad til early 20's, occasional break-outs now only if i eat certain foods.
1968 - allergic to bacon (arm rashes) & orange juice; sensitive to soy
1970s - lots of digestive problems, allergy to citrus, citric acid, cinnamon, lactose intolerant, rosacea from foods
1980s - allergic to oregano, basil, thyme, pork, strawberries, paprika, smokehouse-type seasonings, peppers
1990s - discovered digestive enzymes (YAY!) and my stomach issues resolved by 90%
2012 - diagnosed with celiac via blood tests (tTG) and genes (HLA DQA1*0201: DQB1*0202)
After learning about celiac, it is obvious my mom had it (ulcerative colitis), my brother has it, and my 3 young adult children have it (2 have digestive problems + anxiety; one has DH). we all went gluten-free november 2012.

#5 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

Thank you all! I've learned so much... and there is light. :-)

Happy health and healing for 2013!

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: