This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nearing A Year :-)

Ninja

Ninja Contributor

I can't believe it, but in about one month it'll be my one-year gluten-free anniversary. :-) Quick update:

- I'm still growing, though it's slowing down. I started at 5'4" and I'm now about a half an inch shy of 5'7". I didn't think that was possible at my age!

- GI symptoms totally gone, 'cept the occasional glutening.

- The rash (which I'm almost certain is DH) is relatively under control. It is very sensitive to iodine in addition to gluten.

- No headaches, migraines, nerve pain or tingling, exhaustion, weird "illnesses" (I've gotten sick once in the past 11 months and it was just a cold!), nausea, brain fog, everything is GONE! I was actually diagnosed with sensory processing disorder when I was little and even that has gotten much better! I'm in awe of how amazing I feel! 11 months ago I never would have believed it.

- I can tolerate lactose (in moderation). :-)

I was blood tested in October 2011 which was negative, but at that time I was gluten-lite and my doctor did not inform me that I needed to stay on gluten. Therefore, my primary doctor has told me not to go back on gluten, saying that she thinks it sounds like celiac, and we should wait until better testing comes out. I have a GI doctor appointment in January just to see if I should be doing anything else and/or getting his opinion.

I'm thrilled: I can live my life, handle stress and stay healthy and on top of things. Thank you to everyone who helped me through this. The vitamin, probiotic and digestive enzyme suggestions were invaluable and made such a huge difference. I'm so grateful. I wish I could give everyone hugs! THANK YOU!

Laura

P.S. For those of you struggling right now: things do get better! It is slow, but persistence and patience will both be your friends through the healing process. And questions! Ask lots of questions!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Oh, I am so pleased for you Laura :D What a difference that has made to your life. I am so glad the people on the forum were of help to you and I wish you continued good health and happiness, and a joyous Christmas. Hugs right back atcha.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Laura

This is brilliant, what a wonderful change for you

:)

Thanks for sharing your story, this newbie is very happy to hear a good outcome.

Wishing you the best for 2013

Madagascar Rookie

i'm just a month into it and am so glad to hear your story. thanks for the inspiration - and good luck to you!

Ninja Contributor

Thank you all! I've learned so much... and there is light. :-)

Happy health and healing for 2013!

Archived