Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

- - - - -

What Do You Do About Cross Contamination?

• Please log in to reply

18 replies to this topic

#16 dana_g

dana_g

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 01:05 PM

Nita, the hair products can easily affect your scalp and the mascara comes dangerously close to your eyelid...like you don't have enough to worry about! As far as the fruits and veggies go, it's not at all uncommon to have difficulty digesting them for as much as a year after going gluten-free...but don't panic, just slow down your intake a bit and re-introduce slowly until you can tolerate them well. Remember your gut is in the healing stage, and it can take 6-8 months before that happens, at least that's what my doctor said. Try softened steamed veggies instead of the hard-core stuff. I know I was trying to plow through giant mixed veggie salads and they were going through me almost as fast as I was eating them...something you don't want to get in the habit of. Somebody on this board explained it to me and I adjusted my diet--now I can actually eat simple greens again without distress. You just need to take some time out.
One more thing about gluten-free cosmetics--I never experienced contact dermatitis before going gluten-free but I have since. I'm aware of everything I put on my hair and skin, at home or away--including at the hairdresser's, in a hotel, etc. Oh, and by the way, don't lick stamps or envelopes because they contain wheat paste. Thought THAT would make your day!
Gloriously gluten-free--Dana

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Guest_NitaB_*

Guest_NitaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:04 PM

Dana,
Oh yes, that made my day! Thanks for sharing! No more stamp licking for me!

I knew it was hard to eat raw veggies, so have cooked them. I just thought I could and should eat more of them and fruit. It's the fruit that I think isn't setting real well. Maybe I am eating too many, too soon. So, if fruits and veggies are hard to eat, at first, and most grains are out, and I've given up dairy, I think I'll starve!! :D Okay, not too likely, as I'll learn to eat something.

I have had the painful sores on my elbows and ankles for 8 months or more. I didn't know what they were, and haven't yet had them checked out by a dermatologist. Of course, they have quit, since my stomach took over! If I have another flare-up, will be getting a referral to the dermatologist. So, you think because of these, I should be more careful with the skin and hair products? I had one company tell me they didn't know! Can you believe that? They said to check in my local store, to ask. Like they're going to know anything! It was Victoria's Secret bath gel.

Thanks again for your helpful reply!
Nita

#18 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:55 PM

Anther problem with the hair products and make-up is that you will undoubtably touch your face or hair throughout the day, and unless you wash your hands every few minutes you may have gluten particles on your hands. You might then touch some food and will accidently ingest a few particles of gluten. This will probably not be enough for you to notice any symptoms, but over time will keep you from healing like you should.

As for the fruit. Sometimes it is hard to digest the fruit sugars while you are healing. Go easy on the high sugar fruits for a while. Then slowly add them back in. You will know when it is too much.

I was able to eat a lot more things when I took a good digestive enzyme supplement with my food. Pioneer brand Digestive Enzymes and Herbs has been my favorite to use. I started by using it at every meal, and now I only use it when something is having a hard time digesting.

It does get easier. Just take it slow and don't be too hard on yourself.

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#19 Guest_NitaB_*

Guest_NitaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:50 AM

Thanks Mariann!
I'm sure this will get easier! I was telling my brother, who has similar problems, and he asked too, what can you eat??? I made more mistakes again yesterday. Stuff just doesn't digest or set well. I think I really know, just struggling with complying. Then paying for it later!

I thought of something after having my hair done yesterday. I have gotten what I thought were ingrown hairs (I have short hair!) on the back of my neck, after an appt. Then I read where that is a place for the skin sores to show up, also. Now I wonder if they are caused by hair products! Maybe, but not necessarily. I'm still waiting for some companies to get back to me, on their products. And you are right, I just ran my hand through my hair! I bet we do, more than we think.

I'll get some of the digestive enzymes, and hope that helps, too.
Thanks for posting, and the support!
Nita

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: