3 replies to this topic

#1 AlwaysLearning

AlwaysLearning

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

I've been gluten free for about eight days now and am very excited about the immediate disappearance of many of the major digestive symptoms that I've lived with for years.

However, I've searched for any information on the symptoms of recovery from peripheral neuropathy and have found none.

I have noticed that my corns and calluses appear to be thinning and shrinking which is great. But I've also noticed a little bit of pins and needles sensations in my feet, especially the left one. (It does appear that the left side takes more of the brunt of celiac symptoms.)

Did anyone else notice any foot symptoms that could be attributed to recovery when they went gluten free?

Just weeks ago, while making sure to eat gluten pre-testing, I had the standard "cell phone vibration" in my left foot. Not good. I'm kind of hoping that these new tingles may be an indication that the nerves may be healing and not just a new symptom of the neuropathies themselves.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

Hello

I have been gluten-free since September, and I noticed this week that I am no longer suffering from painful thickened skin on my feet.

I also suffered from plantar faciitus (pain in the tendons under the heel) and that disappeared a few weeks in. It comes back now if I get glutened.

Glad to hear you are getting some improvements, can't help on the tingling.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#3 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Most of my peripheral neuropathy disappeared after going gluten free (though it took a while). You can help things along by taking a good Vitamin B complex.

Celiac Mindwarp, if the tendon problems keep returning, it's possible that you're low in chelated manganese. It's cheap....and works really well for tendon health.

#4 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

I took over six months for the feeling to come back to my hands, I never had
the buzzing, just lack of sensation.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users