- - - - -

Symptoms

• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rt1234_*

Guest_rt1234_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

I am 15 years old and recently have been experiencing symptoms similar to those diagnosed with Celiacs disease/ gluten sensitivity. The symptoms effecting me for the past 2 months include the following:

-sharp pain in my upper right abdomen
-severe upset stomach
-bloated stomach and nausea
-extreme fatigue
-weight loss

I recently went for blood work and am waiting on results. Does anyone feel celiac's could possibly be an option corresponding to my symptoms?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Definitely. It could also be non-celiac gluten sensitivity which would give you the same symptoms but will be negative on all tests. When your testing is done, I would recommend a gluten free trial of a few months (3-6) and see if that helps. Lactose in milk can also cause these symptoms, and many celiacs are lactose intolerant.

Best wishes to you. I hope you find answers in your test results and feel better soon!
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

HI rt1234,

Sounds like celiac symptoms. There are other things it could be. It is important to keep eating gluten (wheat, rye, barley) until the medical tests are all done. The tests are usually an blood draw for testing antibodies to gluten (gliaden) and later an endoscopy to check for damage to the gut villi). The test results usually take a couple weeks in each case as they send the samples to a lab for analysis. If it does turnout to be celiac we can help you with getting started in the gluten-free diet.

There are conditions that have very similar symptoms to celiac are different though. One is called NCGI (non-celiac gluten intolerance). They don't have any test protocol for that yet, so the best test is to go on the gluten-free diet for 3 to 6 months and see if you improve.

Non-celiac wheat sensitivity article
http://www.celiac.co...ists/Page1.html
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#4 mommida

mommida

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

In undiagnosed Celiac disease there is also the chance of a non functioning gall bladder.

A few cases of diagnoses have had the gall bladder removed to be later diagnosed with Celiac.
Michigan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: