27 replies to this topic

#16 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Thank you all so much! I jotted those names down and will look for them this weekend. I do feel 1000% better since being gluten-free I guess I just need to allow my body to continue to heal and take some supplements to aide in digestion.

Good Plan.

Cheers!
(when you are ready)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

Hi Spryng,

I can't do any grapes, so no wine or anything with grapes. Took me a while to figure that one out. I thought it was the alcohol in the wine, but it was the grapes instead. Oh well. :)

A few more things that you might want to pick up on your shopping trip.

Pepto Bismol
Milk of Magnesia
Betaine HCL
DGL (Deglysterized licorice)
Mastic Gum
Lactaid pills ( if you are eating dairy still)
Aspirin
Industrial size TP supply (Ha Ha, just kidding)

Some starting the gluten-free diet tips for the first 6 months:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.
Get your vitamin/mineral levels tested also.
Don't eat in restaurants
Eat only whole foods not processed foods.
Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.
Take probiotics.
Take gluten-free vitamins.
Take digestive enzymes.
Avoid dairy.
Avoid sugars and starchy foods.
Avoid alcohol.

Helpful threads:

FAQ Celiac com
http://www.celiac.co...celiac-disease/

Newbie Info 101
http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

What's For Breakfast Today?
http://www.celiac.co...reakfast-today/
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#18 Happyw5

Happyw5

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

So Ive been gluten free for over two months now...I feel great but recently I noticed Im getting sick after having a glass of white wine. I checked months ago to make sure its gluten-free and it is, its St James white wine and the first time I thought I drank too much on an empty stomach (two glasses on new years eve) led to an entire night of vomiting and diarhea then last night I had one glass and again an entire night of vomiting etc. Do any of you have reactions to alcohol? I have been so careful with what I eat and drink, havent been glutened once and now this? Any thoughts or experiences?

I am allergic to grapes. I cannot drink red wine, raisins, or grape juice (or grapes). But I can have a glass of champagne occasionally and not get sick. I don't know why only the red bother me though. I remember before I found out about it and I had a glass of wine and I thought I was coming down with the flu. I was so sick, was vomiting horrilbly and then I passed out for about 3 hours and woke up fine. Same thing happened after I had gluten free raisin bread...That's when it all started coming together and sure enough-allery test was positive!

#19 jebby

jebby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

I began to get sick from wine, especially whites, about 2 years into being gluten free due to a sulfite intolerance which I had never had before. Some white wines have 3x the amount of sulfites than reds. I kept a food journal and realized that I was reacting to other sulfited foods like raisins and dried fruits, molasses, coconut flakes, and vinegar. There are no test for a sulfite intolerance, but there are a ton of us on FB in a group called "sulfitesnomore." The majority of the women on there have either celiac disease or non celiac gluten sensitivity, so it seems that the 2 problems are somehow linked.

#20 Expattycake

Expattycake

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

I had a lot of issues with wine (some would be fine, most would be horrible) before going gluten free. Even just a glass or two would often have me throwing up and miserable the next day. Now, about two years into going gluten free I very rarely have an issue and can split a bottle over dinner with my husband without worrying. I think it was one of the many things that I never associated with my other digestion problems until eliminating gluten "mysteriously" made so many other issues go away.

#21 Raywuwei

Raywuwei

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

I myself went from being able to drink like a fish to
being a two-and-done person almost overnight.

I am dealing with the same adjustment. I've been gluten-free since May and only in the last few months started having issues with drinking. If I have three, I black out. It's embarrassing to admit this has happened more than once, but I used to be able to put 'em down and now two is almost over doing it. Just be sure to listen to what your body says!
4/25/12 tTG blood work tested at >200
5/11/12 Endoscopy confirmed scalloped Duodenum
Gluten Free since 5/11/12

#22 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

Insta-lightweight! ;)
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#23 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

Yes, wine makes me very. very sick. Almost sicker than a gluten reaction, and it is not related to my Celiac DIsease. I have ALWAYS had issues with wine...and actually all alcohol altogether. I just cannot tolerate it. I get intolerable pain in my back (kidneys). feels like someone is giving me a huge bear hug, and then I get extremely nauseated, and dizzy. ANd this is usually after only a few sips. So I have avoided all alcohol for years. It is very sad, because I love Margaritas, but it makes me so sick. Cramping pain.

#24 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

lolz - wine makes me punch people in the face - HAHAHAHAAA!!!!

seriously = it does seem like it makes me 'zero' to 'oh no' since being gluten free. i stick to the redbridge..... <and even those i have a lower tolerance than i used to. (oh, well - saves me $$) :D

(it's been over a year since i dared to drink wine - last time i drank chardonnay (and not very much!) i throat-punched one of my best friends and my husband threw me over his shoulder and carried me out. i woke up in bed the next day absolutely mortified. hold the wine, please!)

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#25 eers03

eers03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

I enjoyed craft beers and wine prior to my diagnosis. The beer is gone but I do enjoy a glass of wine occasionally, albeit rare. A glass of red is a non issue but a glass of white throws me off a little. Nothing exaggerated but I can tell the difference.
Diagnosis 11/2012

#26 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

I painted the side of hubby's car pink after wine tasting reds.

Yeah. Tolerance just went away. Overnight.

It's better now but after a year I have a two drink limit. I was generally a lightweight, but rarely a sick one. I could literally shoot half a bottle if tequila, not get sick, not have a hangover. Now I am a two margarita girl (or sip two shots of really great tequila...).

Seems to happen a lot.

Thanks gluten.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#27 DerpTyler

DerpTyler

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

it seems that most celiacs seem to have a problem with alcohol, maybe im just young and dumb but i have no problem drinking what ever as long as its gluten-free and im not struggling atm with a gluten reaction.

#28 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

it seems that most celiacs seem to have a problem with alcohol, maybe im just young and dumb but i have no problem drinking what ever as long as its gluten-free and im not struggling atm with a gluten reaction.

I think that is a very generalized statement to make.  There are many, many healed Celiacs that have no problems whatsoever with alcohol.  People who come on this forum are just a small sampling of the entire Celiac population.  Celiac's can heal and enjoy a normal life....we just need to be gluten free or whatever-free, depending on your other intolerances.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: