arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Capsule Endoscopy Vs. Traditional Endoscopy: Thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 powerofpositivethinking

powerofpositivethinking

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:16 AM

so as i'm getting ready for my follow-up GI appointment, I've been reading up on endoscopy. to me the capsule encoscopy seems much more appealing...i wouldn't have to be put under, plus it goes through your entire small intestine even in difficult-to-reach places. i know a biopsy wouldn't be taken with the capsule, but if it can give you more access to hard-to-reach places, the only downside I see is the hardware you have to wear when it's going through you. Lucky for me, I'm not looking to make a fashion statement :lol:

i've been reading some info off a philly hospital website http://www.jefferson...psule endoscopy and although it's very informative if you have any pros and cons, please share!

Diagnosed with celiac disease, fat malabsorption, severe pancreatic insufficiency (taking Creon) and vitamin K and D deficiency

Thankful for all the help I've received from members on this board!

Happy to have answers  :) 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Opa3

Opa3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

The "pillcam" is used to Dx refractory celiac disease if you don't respond to a GFD.
Opt for getting tissue biopsies first.

The thought of being ".....put under" was the best 30 minutes of sleep I ever had. :)

#3 peeptoad

peeptoad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

My GI doctor is a big supporter of these; I think he actually helped develop one of them. Anyway, he told me the real downside is that if you need to take a biopsy or do anything procedural, then a standard ensocopy would need to be done anyhow. The real plus, as you said, is that the small intestine can be visualized and much of that is virtually inaccessible via either colonoscopy or gastroscopy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: