4 replies to this topic

#1 Schatz

Schatz

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

I recently went to Babycakes in Downtown Disney. I became violently ill. I contacted the bakery to make them aware that I became sick. They suggested it was from something other than gluten.

No, it was gluten. I have very specific symptoms to gluten only. For example the only thing that makes me break out with dermatitis herpetiformis is gluten. All my symptoms are gluten specific.

Some where and some how someone made a mistake and cross contaminated the food. It was the ONLY place I had eaten other than my 100% gluten free home. I only had a bottle of water to drink. I even made sure to not touch the table before eating the cupcake from Babycakes. However, I became so ill that we had to leave Downtown Disney.

I called a friend of mine, also celiac, and she told me that she has also gotten sick after eating at Babycakes in Downtown Disney. Unfortunately for me she forgot to tell me as her experience was a year ago. She never contacted the bakery though.

I wonder how many other people have gotten sick. I imagine most people don't contact the place they've eaten to let them know.

Anyway, that's my warning. I will not eat there again. I do not consider it safe for celiacs. I am, however, a very sensitive celiac. Your level of sensitivity may differ, but I wanted to post because if I had found a warning post about Babycakes in DTD then I would not have gotten sick and missed the Cirque du Soleil show I had already purchased tickets to see. I also wouldn't be sitting here with the blistery rash that some celiacs enjoy.
Aug 15, 2011 Newly diagnosed and scared!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Bronwen

Bronwen

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

I'm sensitive as well but they make their gluten-free stuff offsite. Maybe it would be ok if we ask for still boxes stuff. Also contact Disney itself

#3 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

I'm so sorry that you got sick! We go to Babycakes a lot as we live in Orlando. But my son has a gluten intolerance related to his autism and not celiac. Cross contamination doesn't seem to affect him.

I wonder if they use an unusual flour or other ingredient that you are reacting to.

#4 StephanieL

StephanieL

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

I don't think contacting Disney would help as I don't believe they are anything other than a location for the vendor.

I know many many people as well who have gone to many of the Babycakes stores with no issues. I know they are pretty strict with things from calls I have made.

#5 Shelsi

Shelsi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

We've eaten there once before & did not get sick thankfully.  That's such a bummer to hear of others getting sick though.  Frankly, I was less than impressed with their cupcakes anyways - I mean it's pretty darn easy to make gluten-free cake that tastes like & has the exact same texture as "regular" cake so I was kind of "meh" with their cupcakes. 

Did they just keep denying it or did they at least offer to comp you another cupcake or something?  (not that of course I would take them up on it!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: