Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Diet Support
- Questions? Join our forum: Nearly 1 MILLION POSTS, and over 62,000 MEMBERS!
Follow / Share
|Get Email Alerts|
- Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)
- Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)
- Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free
- Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results
- Is Buckwheat Flour Really Gluten-Free?
Is it Gluten-free? Are you sure?
Celiac.com 05/04/2009 - Nowadays every type of food you can desire is available in a convenient form, ready to be popped into a microwave or an oven. This demand for convenience has caused grain consumption to escalate. If you think you don’t eat that much grain (and gluten), think again: much of the gluten that you consume is hidden - you don’t even know you're eating it!
- Food Manufactures add “vital gluten” (gluten that is specifically processed from high-gluten-contained wheat) to wheat flour to give it more binding power.
- Gluten is used in the manufacturing of virtually all boxed, packaged and tinned processed foods to create textures that are more palatable to our taste buds, and are used as binders, thickeners and coatings.
- Gluten is even used to make many commercial glues such as those used on envelopes and stamps.
- Even if you were consuming the same amount of grains
- Barbecue sauce
- Biscuits and cakes
- Breaded fish, chicken and seafood
- Bread - even potato bread and rice bread
- Potato crisps
- Most frozen dinners
- Pies and Pasties
- Rice Mixes
- Sauce and gravies
- Some ice creams
- Some salad dressings
- Some soy sauces
- Teriyaki sauce
- Tinned and dried soups
- And many, many more items!
Celiac.com welcomes your comments below (registration is NOT required).
Gluten-free Market Growing Beyond Celiac Disease
After years of being relegated to the specialty foods category, gluten-free foods have gone mainstream.... [READ MORE]
Side Effects of a Gluten-Free Diet and How to Manage Them
If you’ve been diagnosed with celiac disease, you probably know all about the painful and often uncomfortable physical and mental symptoms and are fortunate to be rid of them with a gluten-free diet.... [READ MORE]
The Gluten-Free Diet: Curse or Cure?
This article originally appeared in the Summer
2002 edition of Celiac.... [READ MORE]
I am 60 years old. An Architect and Landscape Architect by training, graduating in both in 1974. I have an MBA (Master of Business Administration Degree) from Melbourne University in 1990. My family have owned FG Roberts (a gluten free/soy products factory in Melbourne Australia) for 54 years. I have been employed by the company full time since 1980 in various technical, management, operational, product development, research and marketing roles. My Web site is: www.glutenfreehealth.net
In Celiac.com's Forum Now:
Celiac.com Celiac Disease & Gluten-Free Diet Forum - All Activity