Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

appletree729

Genetics Question - Dq2

Hi there!  I'm new here and have been searching for answers for many years for my own health issues and my husband's GI issues, but now my kids have things going on and I am determined to get answers!!

I won't go into any specifics here but I wanted to first try to understand the genetics aspect - I do know that it's not a diagnostic tool, but that it's helpful in identifying risk for developing celiac disease.

My daughter had some bloodwork done a few years ago when she was hospitalized and the genetic portion reads like this:

Celiac-specific HLA:  DQA1*0501 (aka, DQ2) and DQB1*0201 both positive

So does this mean she has two DQ2's?  So homozygous DQ2?  Or is this analyzing just one allele and are both of those things components of "one" DQ2 (so maybe she also has some other DQ something that *isn't* associated with celiac disease?)

Would just like to be able to figure out the relative risk based on the chart on page 8 here:  http://www.pediatrics.uthscsa.edu/grandrounds/handouts/2011-10-07%20Gluten%20Sensitive%20Enteropathy%20%28Ruba%20Abdelhadi,%20MD%29.pdf

I do know that I have at least one DQ2 and my dh has at least one DQ8.  Do you inherit one copy from each parent or can they mutate into something that wasn't technically passed from a parent?

They say 30% of the general population (I guess they are talking Europeans) have the DQ2 gene. They also say 30% of the population have gluten intolerance, stomach cramping etc. You don't have to be genius to put the two together, I wouldn't eat gluten if I had the gene (I have it) but I mean if I had it and I wasn't obviously sick yet, I wouldn't eat it now that I know about the genes etc.