This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dh And Medication

Brookiebaby

Brookiebaby Newbie

I have been recently diagnosed with Celiac and DH, about a week ago. I've managed to regulate my diet, somewhat, for the past two days now. I am still breaking out horribly on my hands and I am guessing it's from a medication I take for sleep. Trazodone. I've been reading that there are a lot of medications out there that contain gluten. I've decided not to take it tonight and for the next few nights, just to see if anything improves.

Does anyone else have issues with certain medications? Did you have to stop them all together?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Welcome to the board!

First, your rash is not going to go away overnight or in a week..... it takes time. You need to make sure your kitchen & everything you put in your mouth is totally gluten free (gluten-free). DH is sensitive to the tiniest amount of gluten. And you need to make sure all your meds both prescription & OTC are gluten-free. NSAID's aggravate the rash. Iodine intake can be a factor --- most of us find it makes the rash go crazy. Steroids will calm the rash but the second you stop them the rash will make you pay in spades by coming back w/ a vengeance! 

First, get your home & food in order. See:

Newbie 101 for celiacs

Help for the Itching, Stinging, Burning, Pain of DH:

And read lots & lots of threads here on the dh forum. Then you will begin to understand what you're up against.
Simone52 Newbie

Welcome to the board!

First, your rash is not going to go away overnight or in a week..... it takes time. You need to make sure your kitchen & everything you put in your mouth is totally gluten free (gluten-free). DH is sensitive to the tiniest amount of gluten. And you need to make sure all your meds both prescription & OTC are gluten-free. NSAID's aggravate the rash. Iodine intake can be a factor --- most of us find it makes the rash go crazy. Steroids will calm the rash but the second you stop them the rash will make you pay in spades by coming back w/ a vengeance! 

First, get your home & food in order. See:

Newbie 101 for celiacs

Help for the Itching, Stinging, Burning, Pain of DH:

And read lots & lots of threads here on the dh forum. Then you will begin to understand what you're up against.

Hi Brookiebaby!  

Sorry you have joined the world of Celiac.  Not a fun club.  But a glute-free diet is going to make you feel new again.  Some of us are more sensitive to gluten than others.  Some of us cannot lick an envelope.  Some of us can.  It will take some time for you to sort out what you can and cannot do/eat/use/take.  

I assume that since you are newly diagnosed, you have had some serious symptoms.  Usually digestion.  Rapid transit. And pain.  And malabsorption. If you are lucky, you have caught it early enough that there may not be permanent damage.  I was diagnosed at age 40.  The secondary problems are many.  But more about me later!

Tell me (us) about you.  How old are you? (approximate is fine!)  How long have you been exhibiting symptoms?  Absolutely miserable or: kind of yucky or:  this and that weird symptom or:  almost incapacitated for years.  This evil disease can take many forms.  The exciting and great news is that you can recover.  In many cases 100%!

Do not for a moment think that the symptoms (evil demons :ph34r: ) will go away after a few days or even weeks or months.  It will take some time.  It has been wreaking havoc on you and your body for a long time.  Be patient.  Do not for moment think either that you can change your diet a little.  Or just modify. Or just reduce.  Or eat something on a special occasion.  Or just on the weekend.  This is serious business and if you want this rash and any other symptom to go away you have to get every speck of gluten out of your house!  Stay away from restaurants for a while if you can.  Things are much easier these days and restaurants are certainly more aware but the more thoroughly you can eliminate any possible trace of this stuff the faster and easier will be your recovery.  

Again, there are many silver linings.  There are intestinal diseases that cannot be controlled with diet.  This can be.

The rash sucks.  Period.  It is insidious, crafty, mean and determined.  Many of us have been playing around with it for years.  Some things work for one, not for another.  It will be a guessing game for you for a while.  It could leave you in two weeks or hang around for two years.  There are many wonderful suggestions on this Board for itch relief and pain control.  Again, what works for me may not for you.  We are all unique. 

As for medications.  Most can be researched on-line.  Trazadone is used for sleep issues and depression.  There are alternatives for both if you are not happy with it.  But I can definitely tell you that there is no way that two days of a gluten-free diet will tell you anything yet.  Don't get discouraged.  Be diligent. I would love to hear your progress.  Even day by day.  Keep in mind that you will not just regulate your diet.  You will completely change it.  (you will love the results)!

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!  There are so many here that will hold your hand (itchy as it is!) and walk you through each of your fears, experiences, questions, discouragements and victories!

Stay tuned......

Be well....

Simone :P  

Archived