Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thrillrose

Glucose Syrup And Ingredients List

I recently saw a product, chocolate coated marshmallows, that in the ingredients list stated Glucose Syrup (Wheat). Every other ingredient was safe, to the best of my knowledge. I understand glucose syrup to be gluten free.

However, at the end of the ingredients list, it stated in the allergens list that gluten was present. Would they write this in regard to the glucose syrup just to cover themselves?

I am fairly new to celiacs, two of my children diagnosed in the last few months, so I'm still learning. Thank you! 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Glucose syrup is highly refined and is gluten-free regardless of the source. Under US law, if wheat is the source, it must be disclosed. If a product has a "contains" statement, that statement must include all of the top-eight allergens that are disclosed in the ingredients.

That is how the label rules work. If the glucose syrup is the only wheat-based ingredient, the product is gluten-free.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter