This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Success With Making Cheese?

Zebra007

Zebra007 Contributor

I wondered if anyone has had much success making their own Gluten and Dairy free cheese.  If so please share the recipe, as I am thinking about having a go. I miss not being able to make Quiche, or sprinkling cheese on pasta.   I buy everything I cant get online from Amazon, and I did see something that might work, but its quite pricey, also I cant quite believe it will taste any good..what are you thoughts on this.

• 1 year later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adamjandro Newbie

I have a great cheese sauce recipe I can share. Not slices or shreds, but a sauce. Still delicious, though!

1 cup coconut milk
2 cups water
1/4 cup gluten-free nutritional yeast
2-3 TSP salt (I use 2 TSP himalayan pink salt)
1/2 cup raw cashew peices
1/2 cup lightly sauteed red bell pepper, chopped
1 tbsp pure lemon juice
1/4 cup gluten-free cornstartch
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup soy milk powder, plain

Put all ingredients in blender and blend for 2 minutes
Put in pot and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes, stirring almost constantly

It's amazing and versatile. With minor tweaks, it's flavor can be adapted to many different recipes. I'm also currently looking for an alternative to the soy milk powder.

emma6 Enthusiast

this is my favourite vegan cheese recipe from one of chloe coscarelli's books

1 and 1/2 cups of raw cashews
1 cup water
2 tables spoons of lemon ice
1 and 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
garlic glove or garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons of cornstarch

soak cashews overnight or boil for 10 minutes. in a blender combine cashews and water blend until smooth, add lemon juice, salt, garlic, onion powder and cornstarch and blend until smooth.

hot for food is also really great for vegan cheeses.

Open Original Shared Link

theres some good info and flavour ideas here but we can't use rejuvelac since its made from rye

there is also seed cheese but i haven't tried making it yet

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I make a sauce with nutritional yeast, and milk base and protein powders sometimes with seasonings, sorta like a runny nacho sauce. Found a odd blend of nutrakey protein powder, nutritional yeast when mixed with a sweetener and lor ann oils kosher cheesecake favoring makes it taste like cream cheese.   I normally buy lisanatti almond cheese at the store, it contains casein but is lactose, whey, soy, corn, and gluten free so safe for me and only $4.99 for 8 oz and comes in mozzarella, cheddar, and colby jack flavors. There is a cashew cheese that is pretty good. I forgot the brand but they charge $6 for a 4-6oz brick of it. You can probably check a local health food store and do some research yourself on the brands.

• 1 month later...
FornoKathe Rookie

I don't have a recipe to make cheese. But wanted to let you know of a dairy free product that I have found called Daiya. They make shredded cheeses as well as cheese slices. And also have things like Gluten Free and Dairy Free Pizzas, and also Gluten Free and Dairy Free Mac & Cheese. So delicious!

Archived