Calmjm

New to this gluten-free life

Rate this topic

So I just got diagnosed with celiacs and I felt like after all the testing and stuff I would finally get the information my fiancé and I so badly needed about what is wrong with me, but the doctor came in the room at our appt and spent about 15 minutes with us talking a little bit about cross contamination, then said I need to avoid gluten like i would arsenic then sent us on our way! So I guess I am looking for some good tips and information about what is really wrong with me! I know own it's an auto immune disease. I just feel scares because I am so uneducated about it and it's such a big change. I just want to know what to do and do it right so I feel better! 

This site has a lot of good info.  And you can get a free " care package"  which is fun.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org

this thread has some useful info - 

Edited by kareng

Kareng is correct.  There are also a number of good reference books on celiacs and gluten free issues.  Also several magazines.  The main thing is to find out the hidden and unusual sources of gluten, and also to be very careful when eating at restaurants.  I got glutened quite a few times at restaurants before I learned to triple check and began to find safe places.  Good luck. 

Getting a diagnosis like celiac an be overwhelming because it's so complex and there's a lot to learn. If you're unhappy with your doctor, switching to a new one and/or getting a second opinion are options. It's really important to find someone you feel comfortable with who listens to your concerns. That being said, as you're preparing for your next appointment, take time to write down any questions that come up as you go about your day beginning to manage your condition and track any symptoms you're experiencing. Did your doctor discuss lifestyle changes and treatment options with you?

Here are some examples of things to ask:

• What tests do I need?
  • What treatment options are available?
  • Should I take nutritional supplements?
  • Are there any dietary restrictions that I need to follow?
  • How will I learn which foods contain gluten? Should I see a dietitian?
  • Can you recommend nutritionists who work with celiac patients?

The Celiac Foundation is another resource. Their website has lots of information and resources. There's also the Celiac Support Association – they have local chapters, or the National Foundation for Celiac Awarenes. And check out magazines like Gluten-Free Living, Delight Gluten-Free and Living Without.