This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help, got glutened last night and brain fog already. What can I do?

Kitty123

Kitty123 Newbie

How do I dampen the immune response my body has launched against my brain from the gluten? High dose DHA & omega3? Turmeric? Too late?

I have nonclassical celiac and am extremely sensistive to gluten. I recovered from dementia after removing all grains but it took years to recover (Im 44 yrs old).  I've been so careful and my friend swore she would be careful with ingredients, but sure enough, wheat and soy and dairy made it into dinner. 

Would this topic be better on another forum/board?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Estes Contributor

I know this is not recommended by anyone with a background in healthcare but I am 41 and have brain fog as my main symptom.  My coping strategy is 2 cans of diet Mountain Dew.

I am gluten free but still eat rice, popcorn, and gluten-free multigrain chips.  What made you decide to cut all grains?  I have contemplated it but am not sure if the benefits outweigh the hassle.  I would love to hear from someone who has done it.

cstark Enthusiast

When brain fog rolls in for me, I do Frankincense Essential Oil right at the bottom of the skull at the top of the spine.  There's a little notch where the two meet.  I put barely a drop of the oil there, and it works within minutes of the attack.  Brain still is a bit fuzzy, but at least I would be concentrate and not feel like a Mack truck ran over my head. :) 

cstark Enthusiast
19 minutes ago, Estes said:

I know this is not recommended by anyone with a background in healthcare but I am 41 and have brain fog as my main symptom.  My coping strategy is 2 cans of diet Mountain Dew.

I am gluten free but still eat rice, popcorn, and gluten-free multigrain chips.  What made you decide to cut all grains?  I have contemplated it but am not sure if the benefits outweigh the hassle.  I would love to hear from someone who has done it.

With me, sometimes too much grain makes my digestive slow way down.  It makes me feel like I have a lead ball in my stomach.  It takes some digestive enzymes to get my system running again.  Annoying, I know.  I have not cut out all grains, but for the majority of the time I do without.  Estes, if you are considering taking out grains, try substituting spaghetti squash for the majority of your grains.  It's a healthy way of cutting out the grains, and it cuts down on the carbs you consume as well.  It's a two-feR!

Estes Contributor
2 minutes ago, cstark said:

With me, sometimes too much grain makes my digestive slow way down.  It makes me feel like I have a lead ball in my stomach.  It takes some digestive enzymes to get my system running again.  Annoying, I know.  I have not cut out all grains, but for the majority of the time I do without.  Estes, if you are considering taking out grains, try substituting spaghetti squash for the majority of your grains.  It's a healthy way of cutting out the grains, and it cuts down on the carbs you consume as well.  It's a two-feR!

If you cut out carbs do you get crabby and stop sleeping?

cstark Enthusiast
16 minutes ago, Estes said:

If you cut out carbs do you get crabby and stop sleeping?

Actually I have found I have more energy during the day, and sleep very well at night.  When I have more grains or processed foods, I find I don't sleep as well because my digestive system is still hard at work and not getting the rest it needs.  My systems actually work better when I cut back on the amount of grains.  A lot of the time these days, the grains we consume are processed by varying degrees.  I have found the least processed I go, the better it is for my entire body as a whole.  

I find that some of the fruits and veggies we eat have the same amount of carbs that is in grains.  When God created us, He meant for us to have a fruit and veggie with some meat tossed in.  I am not saying to do away with grains altogether, but moderation is the key.

Sorry, I tend to be a little long winded at times. :) To put all this into a nutshell, I do tend to sleep better and not be as moody/crabby when I go for more of the fruits/veggies instead of more grain.  Be careful though that you don't JUST eat fruits.  We need the veggies for the fiber in our digestive system.  I learned that the hard way.  Hope this helps, and good luck!

Estes Contributor

This is all great info!  Sorry to hog the brain fog glutening question but I am loving this info!  Do you eat potatoes or drink wine?  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cstark Enthusiast
2 minutes ago, Estes said:

This is all great info!  Sorry to hog the brain fog glutening question but I am loving this info!  Do you eat potatoes or drink wine?  

No I don't drink alcohol at all and I substitute sweet potatoes for the white potatoes partly because of carb aspect.  White potatoes are digested easily and turn quickly into sugar because they are what experts call simple carbs. Sweet potatoes however are complex carb and allow them to broken down and be used body a lot better.

Something I wanted to add to the last question you had, Estes.  The amount of grains someone consumes depends on what their body needs to function properly.  Try going without grains for one-two weeks and then gently introduce grains into your system to see how your digestive system reacts to it.  You will be able to see not only how your body tolerates grains, but also how much your body requires the grains.  After that, you will be able to adjust your diet accordingly.

When I first showed symptoms of gluten intolerance, I went cold turkey from grains, processed foods, and gluten to get my body healing again.  I then started adding the grains back into my diet and have found that happy medium for grains in my diet.  It's all about actively listening to your body.

Gemini Experienced
On 7/18/2016 at 2:56 PM, Estes said:

I drink wine and eat potatoes!   Both agree with me well so thank God for small miracles......:lol:

Archived