This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stomach pain

Sarah25882

Sarah25882 Rookie

Hi. Wondering if any one may know what the cause of my pain could be. I'm coeliac have ibs (cant eat oats, malt extract, honey sesame etc) and been on a strict diet 2years now but for the past few months had major bloating. Every morning before my bowel movement I get an excruciating pain that feels like the worst period pain imaginable. Its dead centre bout 1 to 2 inch up towards my belly button.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

The first place to start would be to double check everything in your diet to be sure that you are not getting any gluten contamination.

Many gluten-free breads use xanthan gum, guar gum, or other types of binders that can cause gastrointestinal issues, so consider this as a possibility as well:

You may want to keep a food diary for a while to see if you have an additional food intolerance issue.  

Last, be sure to let your doctor know about your symptoms, as it could be something else. 

Sarah25882 Rookie

Thankyou. Have been keeping a diary to be on safe side just havent been to docs yet. Any advice is good advice

MisterSeth Enthusiast

gonna keep reiterating that long term cannabis use causes stomach problems. don't think it's well known, and I'd wager a LOT of coeliacs turned to cannabis because initially its great for the symptoms

knitty kitty Grand Master
On 4/1/2020 at 9:17 AM, Sarah25882 said:

Hi. Wondering if any one may know what the cause of my pain could be. I'm coeliac have ibs (cant eat oats, malt extract, honey sesame etc) and been on a strict diet 2years now but for the past few months had major bloating. Every morning before my bowel movement I get an excruciating pain that feels like the worst period pain imaginable. Its dead centre bout 1 to 2 inch up towards my belly button.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

It could be Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO).

Here's an article....

https://www.healthline.com/health/sibo-diet

I bloated badly with SIBO before my Celiac diagnosis.  I went on the Autoimmune Paleo Diet, which is more strict than the Fodmaps diet the article talks about.  Basically, it's meat and veg only, no carbohydrates, to starve out those gas-producing bacteria.  During the "die off," you might feel worse, but the beneficial bacteria will repopulate and you'll feel better.

Remember to discuss any diet changes with your doctor or nutritionist.

Hope this helps!

Sarah25882 Rookie

Thankyou will have a read xx

5 hours ago, MisterSeth said:

gonna keep reiterating that long term cannabis use causes stomach problems. don't think it's well known, and I'd wager a LOT of coeliacs turned to cannabis because initially its great for the symptoms

I dont use any drugs of any kind. I'm nearly 11 years clean xx