This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mucus

Charisma-1630

Charisma-1630 Newbie

Hi,

I'm looking for advice as my anxiety is going through the roof..

I was diagnosed as "early stage coeliac" in septemberish last year.. It was picked up during a routine diabetic blood test.. At this point I had absolutely no symptoms so wouldn't have known otherwise. I had a endoscopy and they came back saying there was only slight damage "so we will treat it as coeliacs".... I was sent away and had my next appointment booked from April. My appointment has been cancelled due to corona and I have no idea who I can ask, but I have started getting a lot of clear stool mucus and tummy pain over the past couple of weeks. I haven't eaten any gluten in that time. (I have eaten gluten before and not had this reaction). Does anyone know what this could be? I cant stop thinking to myself that it might be the big C and convincing myself of the worst :(

Help!! I have been very stressed but I have never had this reaction to stress before so I don't think its from that.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Well good news, Covid is a respiratory virus....it will not cause stool changes like that. Your immune system will be stronger once off gluten when celiac, your immune system has probably been actively fighting and destroying your intestines for months or years. Many celiacs start seeing changes in their immune system and reactions to gluten and other foods once they start the gluten free diet. The mucus could be a sign of healing, or reintroduction of slight Cross Contamination (CC) as your immune system can now hit back harder.

I would suggest checking the Newbie 101 section and read up about CC and how to clean out your kitchen and find and fix safe meals.
CC can come from crumbs in condiment jars, scratched pots/pans, cutting boards, colanders, wooden cooking utensils previously used with gluten foods, any flour used in the house will go air borne and get on stuff and can be inhaled where it can get stuck in your nose and drain into your stomach. It can also take awhile to learn to read labels and learn which foods are safe. We normally suggest a whole foods only diet and avoid processed foods regardless for awhile, also some celiacs react to all oats regardless so you have to avoid them and try certified ones say 6 months or so later and see how you react.

Many of us find that we get other issues from other foods referred to as a food sensitivity or a intolerance, dairy is a major one as the villi that the disease destroys produce the enzymes to break them down and this can go away after healing 6-12 months later. But other common ones are soy, oats, corn, legumes, nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, potatoes and eggplant), garlic, and onions. So you might start keeping a food diary and recording what you eat, and any issues such has BMs, Gas, Gerd, bloating, etc.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Here is the Newbie link just in case:

Also, it is important for you to know, should you decide that you require a formal celiac disease diagnosis, which not everyone does, that you must keep eating gluten daily until all testing has been completed, otherwise you may end up with false negative results.

Not to freak you out, but a small percentage of covid-19 patients do have gastrointestinal symptoms, however, it still would end up with a fever, cough, and other more classic symptoms. It's doubtful you have covid-19, and even if you did it would not be time to panic, as most people do recover without major issues.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

By 'the big C' are you worried this is a sign of colon cancer? While they have cancelled your follow-up appointment you might still want to try calling and asking to speak to either a nurse or the doctor. In myself mucus is a sign that I have eaten something I don't tolerate. It can be your bodies reaction to consuming something to which you are intolerant. The mucus can form to try and protect your intestine. The food and symptom diary mentioned is good idea.