Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter
Diane Parker

TM connection

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have not heard specifically of a connection.  However, TM can be autoimmune (MS, Lupus, Sjogren’s Syndrome etc.) and celiac disease is autoimmune.  You can have more than one autoimmune disorder.  Let’s hope that you heal just by calming down your immune system (if your TM is in fact autoimmune) with a gluten free diet. 

I found that if my celiac disease is not flaring, then typically my AI Gastritis or Hashimoto’s is not flaring.  

Try to eat a very clean diet.  Avoid processed foods.  Eat real food.  Do not eat out until you are willing to take a potential hit.  

Let’s see if other members have advice.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

11 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

I have not heard specifically of a connection.  However, TM can be autoimmune (MS, Lupus, Sjogren’s Syndrome etc.) and celiac disease is autoimmune.  You can have more than one autoimmune disorder.  Let’s hope that you heal just by calming down your immune system (if your TM is in fact autoimmune) with a gluten free diet. 

I found that if my celiac disease is not flaring, then typically my AI Gastritis or Hashimoto’s is not flaring.  

Try to eat a very clean diet.  Avoid processed foods.  Eat real food.  Do not eat out until you are willing to take a potential hit.  

Let’s see if other members have advice.  

Thank you for your reply.  I had heard of people being diagnosed with MS and then years later found out it was Celiac and not MS.  TM is similar to MS so that really made me wonder.  Unfortunately can't get to see a doctor with the virus situation but as soon as can see a Gastro doctor have lots of questions.  It was my neurologist that found the Celiac in my bloodwork.

I'm hoping the gluten free diet will ease some of my symptoms.

This is up to you, but normally I would suggest waiting to see a GI to obtain biopsies via endoscopy, but with this pandemic, it could take time. Neurological issues are not to be messed with in my non-medical opinion.    You might consider going on the diet now if in fact, your celiac antibodies [DGP, TTG) were pretty high (only one positive necessary).  If just slightly above range, the result could be due to another illness and an endoscopy would help solidify a diagnosis.  

There is another diet (which is gluten as well) called the Autoimmune Paleo Diet.  Some autoimmune patients do very well on the diet.  Then there is Dr. Terry Wahls, who has MS, was in a wheelchair, and can now ride a bike.  She teaches (MD) in the mid-west.  Look into her diet which is rich in real foods.

I really think that food can help heal.  When I went gluten free, my Hashimoto’s went into remission (diagnosed 20 years earlier).  No more enlargement or nodules within a year (but did have some permanent damage requiring me to take thyroid replacement).   Five years later, my small intestine completely healed.  That is pretty amazing. 

Talk to your doctors.  At least know that a gluten free diet will not harm you (unless you just consume gluten-free cookies and cake!)

Edited by cyclinglady

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator