Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Rate this topic

Hi. I am considering buying a celiac disease test to complete at a local lab. My Dr hasn’t ordered one yet, but I’m tired of waiting. I have Hashimoto’s autoimmune thyroid disorder and have had chronically low iron for over 3 years despite iron supplementation. I was also diagnosed with IBS about 12 years ago before I was diagnosed with the thyroid disorder. I had a colonoscopy then, but nothing unusual was found. My Dr changed my iron supplement and increased my dose and wants me to come back in a few months for another iron panel. I am also having daily joint pain, hair loss, fatigue, and the usual IBS symptoms. I feel like a celiac disease panel is a no brained to at least rule it out. The blood test I can purchase on my own tests two things: TTG IgA and Immunoglobin A. Is that sufficient or are there other things that should be checked with a celiac disease panel blood test? Thanks.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Given that you have Hashimoto’s, an autoimmune disease, AND chronic low iron, it is borderline malpractice that your doctor refuses to test you for celiac disease. Having either would be enough evidence to be screened for it, but having both AND IBS and not test?

Also, a normal colonoscopy would not detect CD.

To get a blood test keep eating gluten daily for 4-6 weeks before it’s taken, and try this company:

https://imaware.health 

More info on blood testing:

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

Join eNewsletter