This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any one ever taken Digest Forte (Medi Herb is the mfr)

Mary Jo Edmonstone

Mary Jo Edmonstone Rookie

Hello:
I was advised by a Naturopath to take Digest Forte to help break the ongoing cycle of acid reflux inflammation I get periodically.  As it is a natural product, there is no testing to confirm gluten free, and the mfr said (I called them) that they do not add gluten to the tablets, but they are produced in a facility where there are other gluten containing product.   My 'gut' tells me not to take it because it it not tested, but just wondering if anyone else has ever taken it, if you have celiac.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

No, I have never taken it. If the manufacturer is stating they do not test the finished  product for gluten being below the 20 ppm standard. I would not personally be comfortable taking it. While I do believe most manufacturer s follow proper best protocols in quality control and quality assurance not adding gluten to the product, dismantling/cleaning the line, according to FDA regulations.  I feel most comfortable hearing they have separate facilities or at minimum separate lines for gluten-free , as well as gluten-free testing/labeling. Does your naturopath have an alternative suggestion? The market for gluten-free, paleo, whole 30 etc is growing so most companies want to meet these new areas of buyers interests.

Edited by Awol cast iron stomach
Missed word
Mary Jo Edmonstone Rookie
10 minutes ago, Awol cast iron stomach said:

No, I have never taken it. If the manufacturer is stating they do not test the finished  product for gluten being below the 20 ppm standard. I would not personally be comfortable taking it. While I do believe most manufacturer s follow proper best protocols in quality control and quality assurance not adding gluten to the product, dismantling/cleaning the line, according to FDA regulations.  I feel most comfortable hearing they have separate facilities or at minimum separate lines for gluten-free , as well as gluten-free testing/labeling. Does your naturopath have an alternative suggestion? The market for gluten-free, paleo, whole 30 etc is growing so most companies want to meet these new areas of buyers interests.

Thanks. The mfr did not note a separate  processing line.  I believe there is a low risk, but as they note themselves, the risk of cross contamination cannot be ruled out.   I will be asking if there is something else.  I'm actually surprised a product designed for gut health would not be tested for gluten, knowing that it is so critical for celiacs not to ingest even a minute amount.

Awol cast iron stomach Experienced

Not sure if you have read this info,but in case your interested here is a link of why I think as I do (supplements fall under  food regulation FDA)

"Are statements like “made with no gluten-containing ingredients” or similarly “not made with gluten-containing ingredients” permitted on labels of foods bearing a gluten-free claim?
Yes. Neither the final rule nor FDA’s general food labeling regulations prohibit the use of a statement like “made with no gluten-containing ingredients” or “not made with gluten-containing ingredients” on any food products, provided that the statement is truthful and not misleading. However, unless the label of the food including such a statement also bears a gluten-free claim, consumers should not assume that the food meets all FDA requirements for the use of the “gluten-free” claim."

https://www.fda.gov/food/food-labeling-nutrition/questions-and-answers-gluten-free-food-labeling-final-rule

Good luck

Edited by Awol cast iron stomach
Added and fixed errors