Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
Ruqia

My elder children are celiac

Rate this topic

Hi

my both children got celiacs since they are born, the elder one is 9 and the younger one is 8.

they are not eating gluten since they are diagnosed but still sometime it’s hard for them to cope. Are there any chances their celiac will go away? Will they be able to eat the normal food and flour? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Ruqia,

Celiac does not go away. It is in the genes of your children just like the color of their eyes. One suggestion I have is to try and find other children with Celiac Disease that your kids can be friends with. Is there a Celiac support group where you live? If so, that might be the place to start.

Edited by trents

It doesn’t go away unfortunately. 

My sister and I were celiac children and the hardest part for us was the FOMO (fear of missing out) and the being “different” from other kids. I would eat cookies that were passed around at school just because all the other kids were getting cookies.

I would suggest coordinating with their schools and any friends parents in their lives to make sure that there is ALWAYS a comparable option for them. When I was a kid there was never cake for me at birthday parties and I was so touched when a thoughtful mother got me my own piece. Nowadays this is very easy and there are plenty of treats to make sure your kids are NEVER left without something the other kids get. This is when kids cheat the most!!!

We make plenty of compromises for peanut free kids but never for celiac kids. The teachers and parents should always make sure these kids have their own safe treats.