Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
2 2
Nick431

Why do endoscopy?

Rate this topic

Some my wife asked me and I didn't haven't a clear answer. If your antibody levels are really high and you already know you have the gene markers, why do an endoscopy to confirm? Even if the endoscopy is negative you would still likely be celiac and need to go gluten free? She mainly asks because I'm supposed to eat some gluten up until the endoscopy which definitely makes me a little sick. Just curious mostly. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

A definitive diagnosis of celiac disease requires a jejunal biopsy demonstrating villous atrophy.(1-3) Given the invasive nature and cost of the biopsy, serologic tests may be used to identify individuals with a high probability of having celiac disease. Because no single laboratory test can be relied upon completely to establish a diagnosis of celiac disease, those individuals with positive laboratory results should be referred for small intestinal biopsy