Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
4 4
mikemcm22

Small Intentional Fungal Overgrowth/Candida Overgrowth

Rate this topic

Hello, 

I am just over a year gluten free. I had a biopsy that showed I was almost healed completely. I am very strict and know it is not gluten anymore, yet most of my symptoms remain. 

Has anyone recovered from small intentional fungal overgrowth (SIFO)/ Candida overgrowth? My nutritionist is almost positive that I have it and my gastro. says it is definitely a strong possibility as most bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) treatments have failed me. Apparently it is not as common as SIBO. 

My main symptom is bloating and bad brain fog. I cannot eat a lot of carbohydrates when it is bad, especially fructose. I've been using Candabactin AR and BR (an supplement) with some success. In the three weeks I have stopped it all came back and now I am eating 1000 calories a day because the bloating was so intense. 

Thanks. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

3 hours ago, DJFL77I said:

have you taken anti biotics

For the most part of 4 years I took it for mild acne. 

More recently I was put on a high dose of omeprazole for two years until they figured out it was celiac. 

If you can tolerate plain Greek yogurt it is good for healing the gut after long stints on antibiotics. If you can't do cow's milk you may be able to tolerate sheep's or goat's milk yogurts. Probiotics supplements are also good for this. Although I don't have SIBO, I started taking a Bifidobacterium infantis supplement after reading this study:

and here are more articles on it:

https://www.celiac.com/search/?q=Bifidobacterium infantis&quick=1

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

I have SIBO diagnosed from a breath test.  Blue Shield would not approve Rifaximin until I first tried Flagyl, and I just finished the course of Flagyl.  Now I have oral thrush (caused by Flagyl) and am taking Nystatin.  The SIBO symptoms continue.  I also wonder if I also might have CIFO.  Hoping to see more replies on this thread.  MikeMCM22, can you share which SIBO treatments failed you?  I'm overwhelmed at the treatment options (including which SIBO diet to dive in to).  My breath test was positive for both Methane and H. Sulfide.