This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What does this sound like?

Austintll

Austintll Newbie

Basically my history is that I DID receive some gluten antibody tests (IGG or similar) years ago. They were slightly elevated when I used ranges online but basically I was told it was nothing and I clearly didn’t have celiac. I have not got bloodwork in years and I don’t foresee doing it any time soon unfortunately.

I have had a ton of issues with different foods over the years, getting progressively worse. It has been a huge learning curve. 

What I’m most curious about is my symptoms and if they sound similar to anyone else:

main:

Ataxia?( I HAVE ALWAYS felt just a bit off balance, it makes me almost constantly somewhat nauseous) - I might go as far as to say my vision sometimes goes in and out of focus (just got new prescription and astigmatism addressed so this could be related to ataxia? Not sure)

brain fog(no motivation and RARELY feel clear headed...like I’m always in a blur. I WANT deep inside to be going out and doing stuff but I often lay in bed despite a ton of physical energy.) - I always maintain a great physique however I am in the gym 4 days a week maintaining 205-210lbs with 6 pack abs!

indigestion/cramping

bloating/constipation/incomplete voiding bowels (I used to have a LOT of issues with voiding completely, to put it softly.) 

for now those are the main ones but the first two I would describe as debilitating because I used to be a very motivated and goal driven person.

Heart: after certain foods I will receive a massive increase in perceived heartbeat(palpitations. I am not sure if it is ACTUALLY elevated, usually 70-85 still when I’ve checked it) - this usually gives me a very anxious feeling

feeling of doom/depression- I guess you could say this ties in to the brain fog. Essentially it is as I describe it a feeling that I will have something bad occur. Cant describe better.

diet:

I have completely cut out gluten/dairy for the better part of two months. Massive improvements! I was doing great and rarely fell off. 
since I have been bulking at the gym, I usually eat 20-25 servings of oats (yes I eat 4000 calories from oats lol I walk 10+ miles a day for my job). On top of that I eat chicken thighs/olive oil for my fats and protein. At first I used regular oats, but last two weeks I have tried gluten free oats. 

the past month my symptoms have not really seen an improvement, I have either stalled or regressed to be honest.

SO: I am curious as to if these are relatable to someone else? I can imagine the oats were ok for a while but for one reason or another I am now having issues. 
A giveaway for me is how corn and rice effect me, I know wheat, rice, corn, AND OATS contain some forms of gluten, if not gliadin.

BASICALLY I just want to know if anyone sees Ataxia as a main symptom to glutening?? I feel as that symptom causes me to just feel in a very distraught mood, and it mixes with brain fog to give me a greatly depressed mood!

I would like any opinions lol

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

trents Grand Master

About 10% of celiacs react to even gluten free oats like they do wheat, barley and rye. Eliminating oats is where I would go next if I were you. Have you tried buckwheat? It's not wheat at all but related to rhubarb. Delicious and more nutritious than oats. Takes about 10 minutes to cook. If you're interested, make sure you purchase buckwheat that is gluten free, i.e., not cross contaminated. Amazon advertises gluten-free buckwheat.

All the ataxia, brain fog symptoms you describe are quite often listed as symptoms of celiac sufferers on this forum.

By the way, Austin. Welcome!

Austintll Newbie
6 minutes ago, trents said:

About 10% of celiacs react to even gluten free oats like they do wheat, barley and rye. Eliminating oats is where I would go next if I were you. Have you tried buckwheat? It's not wheat at all but related to rhubarb. Delicious and more nutritious than oats. Takes about 10 minutes to cook. If you're interested, make sure you purchase buckwheat that is gluten free, i.e., not cross contaminated. Amazon advertises gluten-free buckwheat.

All the ataxia, brain fog symptoms you describe are quite often listed as symptoms of celiac sufferers on this forum.

By the way, Austin. Welcome!

Awesome. Thanks for the idea I will have to figure out a substitute for a way to get 5000 calories a day without oats(so easy to use)! I will probably give buckwheat a try too. Wonder can I blend that up in some milk like I did oats? It looks to be the same amount of calories but I mind have to shell out quite a bit $$$ more than oats for that. Nothing is too expensive for good health though.

trents Grand Master

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

rusky
    Newest Member
    rusky
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Nacina
      Well, that's a big question. When he was seeing the nutrition response testing dr. that changed each time we went in. He hasn't been seeing him regularly for theist ten months. When he had a horribly week in March I started him back on the 4 that were suggested to keep him on. Those are: Standard Process Chlorophyll Complex gluten-free, SP A-F Betafood gluten-free, SP Tuna Omega-3 Oil gluten-free, And Advanced Amino Formula. He also takes a one a day from a company called Forvia (multivitamin and mineral) and Probiotic . Recently he had to start Vitamin D as well as he was deficient.  
    • Fluka66
      Thank you again for your reply and comments which I have read carefully as I appreciate any input at this stage. I'm tending to listen to what my body wants me to do, having been in agony for many years any respite has been welcome and avoiding all wheat and lactose has thankfully brought this.  When in pain before I was seen by a number of gynacologists as I had 22 fibroids and had an operation 13 years ago to shrink them . However the pain remained and intensified to the point over the years where I began passing out. I was in and out of a&e during covid when waiting rooms where empty. My present diet is the only thing that's given me any hope for the future. As I say I had never heard of celiac disease before starting so I guess had this not come up in a conversation I would just have carried on. It was the swollen lymph node that sent me to a boots pharmacist who immediately sent me to a&e where a Dr asked questions prescribed antibiotics and then back to my GP. I'm now waiting for my hospital appointment . Hope this answers your question. I found out more about the disease because I googled something I wouldn't normally do, it did shed light on the disease but I also read some things that this disease can do. On good days I actually hope I haven't got this but on further investigation my mother's side of the family all Celtic have had various problems 're stomach pain my poor grandmother cried in pain as did her sister whilst two of her brother's survived WW2 but died from ulcers put down to stress of fighting.  Wishing you well with your recovery.  Many thanks  
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @Nacina, What supplements is your son taking?
    • knitty kitty
      @BluegrassCeliac, I'm agreeing.  It's a good thing taking magnesium. And B vitamins. Magnesium and Thiamine work together.  If you supplement the B vitamins which include Thiamine, but don't have sufficient magnesium, Thiamine won't work well.  If you take Magnesium, but not Thiamine, magnesium won't work as well by itself. Hydrochlorothiazide HCTZ is a sulfonamide drug, a sulfa drug.  So are proton pump inhibitors PPIs, and SSRIs. High dose Thiamine is used to resolve cytokine storms.  High dose Thiamine was used in patients having cytokine storms in Covid infections.  Magnesium supplementation also improves cytokine storms, and was also used during Covid. How's your Vitamin D? References: Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25542071/ Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8533683/ The Effect of a High-Dose Vitamin B Multivitamin Supplement on the Relationship between Brain Metabolism and Blood Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress: A Randomized Control Trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6316433/ High‐dose Vitamin B6 supplementation reduces anxiety and strengthens visual surround suppression https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9787829/ Repurposing Treatment of Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome for Th-17 Cell Immune Storm Syndrome and Neurological Symptoms in COVID-19: Thiamine Efficacy and Safety, In-Vitro Evidence and Pharmacokinetic Profile https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33737877/ Higher Intake of Dietary Magnesium Is Inversely Associated With COVID-19 Severity and Symptoms in Hospitalized Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9132593/ Magnesium and Vitamin D Deficiency as a Potential Cause of Immune Dysfunction, Cytokine Storm and Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation in covid-19 patients https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7861592/ Sulfonamide Hypersensitivity https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31495421/
    • BluegrassCeliac
      Hi,   Not saying Thiamine (B1) couldn't be an issue as well, but Mg was definitely the cause of my problems. It's the only thing that worked. I supplemented with B vitamins, but that didn't change anything, in fact they made me sick. Mg stopped all my muscle pain (HCTZ) within a few months and fixed all the intestinal problems HCTZ caused as well. Mom has an allergy to some sulfa drugs (IgG Celiac too), but I don't think I've ever taken them. Mg boosted my energy as well. It solved a lot of problems. I take 1000mg MgO a day with no problems. I boost absorption with Vitamin D. Some people can't take MgO,  like mom, she takes Mg Glycinate. It's one of those things that someone has try and find the right form for themselves. Everyone's different. Mg deficiency can cause anxiety and is a treatment for it. A pharmacist gave me a list of drugs years ago that cause Mg deficiency: PPIs, H2 bockers, HCTZ, some beta blockers (metoprolol which I've taken -- horrible side effects), some anti-anxiety meds too were on it. I posted because I saw he was an IgG celiac. He's the first one I've seen in 20 years, other than my family. We're rare. All the celiacs I've met are IgA. Finding healthcare is a nightmare. Just trying to help. B