This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Can The Pale Stools And Vomiting Come A Day After Exposure?

e&j0304

e&j0304 Enthusiast

As some of you know, we have been trying hard to figure out what has been causing my son's chronic diarrhea and lack of growth. We have had him gluten-free for awhile now and his diarrhea cleared up and he has gained a little weight.

Yesterday he accidentally got some gluten. Within 30 min. he had diarrhea, but it was normal brown. He had diarrhea about 4 more times yesterday. Today he has been vomiting most of the day and is having very pale, almost gray stools that smell so foul.

I don't know if kids that just get the flu have those gray stools that smell so bad. Does anyone? It's hard to tell if this is from the gluten or not since yesterday his stools were diarrhea, but normal in color. I should add that he does not seem sick between vomiting and diarrhea and he does not have a fever, which I would tihnk he would if he had the flu.

Anyway, I'm just wondering. Do normal kids who get the flu have clay-colored, stinky diarrhea or is that exclusive to celiac? And, can the vomiting come a day later?

Thanks for any insight. His reactions are different than my daughters are.

Shannon

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

e&j0304 Enthusiast

I just wanted to add that he has had quite a few more of the clay-colored stools and they have undigested food in them now including cheese and hotdog. I am assuming that this is due to gluten, but his dr. will probably want to test for giardia again.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Shannon, that sounds actually quite typical for celiac disease. By now I don't even get the diarrhea the same day any more, but the next day. But I used to have pretty much the same reaction as your son, other than the vomiting (I rarely vomit, even though sometimes I wished I could, it would make me feel better when sick).

A lot of people have been saying that their kids will develop more symptoms the next day, and sometimes more symptoms show up for another week or two! So, don't be surprised if suddenly next week he will get temper tantrums, or moodiness or whatever. Unfortunately you'll have to deal with the fallout from accidental glutenings. I very much doubt it could be giardia, I think it would be almost silly to test for that.

And yes, foul smelling stools and undigested chunks are 'normal' for celiacs that have been glutened.

nettiebeads Apprentice

I never got sick right away after eating gluten. My D was usually 20 to 24 hours later. Everyone's reaction to gluten is different, and even then the reactions can change as years go by. My reactions now are severe C, rarely D, fatigue and brain fog, and horrible aches that I didn't used to get. But the really really REALLY stinky D is very indictative of Celiac. I'd lay my bets on his reaction to gluten as his problem, not flu or giardia.

Annette

e&j0304 Enthusiast

Thank you two for your responses. I am really thinking that this was gluten related. He is not vomiting today but has already had diarrhea 7 times. There is still undigested food in it and it is very pale and stinky. He is otherwise fine and running around playing. He has no fever. I would think that with a stomach flu he would have a fever and being feeling otherwise lousy. Also he is VERY gassy and I wouldn't tihnk that would be from the flu.

I think he just had a really tough reaction and hopefully now that we have him back on track with being gluten-free he will be ok.

Thanks again for responding.

Shannon

nettiebeads Apprentice

It sounds like he's mending already. Glad to hear that. I understand your concern though; I have to sit and list all of my symptoms to see if it's a cross contamination or maybe a bug at times.

key Contributor

It actually sounds like he may have a virus called Rotavirus. My four year old has it right now and my 2 year old had it last week. They don't have to have a fever, but can. THe foul smelling stools and light color with undigested food is very typical of Rotavirus and it is RAMPANT in our area right now. It was announced on our news the other night. My kids didn't even get it from each other I don't think, because they were sick so far apart. The diarhea can last for like 9 days! Make sure you keep him hydrated. It says also to feed them small and more frequent meals. My 2 year old didn't act sick either. My four year old has been lying around not eating. There is a test at the pediatrician to know whether it is Rotavirus.

Hope he is feeling better soon.

Monica

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Lucy

My son throws up from gluten. He will throw up about 6-8 hours after gluten, and his food won't be digested in his vomit, or diahrea. He is fine between time too. I am sure it is the way he reacts to gluten since he has periods of vomitting at least 6 times since thanksgiving. It was always after eating at a place where I wasn't in complete control of who handled the food.

He has had celiac for 1.5 years, and just started reacting this way the last 4 or 5 months.

So just keep gluten away!

e&j0304 Enthusiast

Thanks so much for your insight. I guess it's always going to be a guessing game as to whether it's gluten or a virus like Rotavirus. So far my 3 year old seems fine so hopefully if it is a virus she will stay healthy.

I did call the dr. and they said just to push fluids. Jack is drinking plenty and even a lot more than usual, but he doesn't seem to want to eat much. He is still having diarrhea, but only had it 4 times all day as oposed to 12 times yesterday so he's getting better!

Thanks again,

Shannon

Archived