This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator
ok rachel i was just gonna post that i called my doctor about the art test and the women who works fo rhim called me andsaid he thought it was a good idea for me. I am seeing him tomorrow for my shot and we are going to talk about it then. I got info on it and found someone close to me that does it and the main doc trained with the guy who invented it or whatever so it seems pretty reputable. Hopefully i will find out more info tomorrow. I am so glad you already have an appt set up.

Miamia

Great Miamia!!

It should be interesting...I hope we get some good answers from it. :)

You'll probably see a post from me before you have your testing so you'll have a good idea of what to expect. Of course I'll post everything that I can remember about it. ;)

It was Dr. Klinghardt and someone else who invented it. Other Dr.'s get trained on how to perform the test. Probably anyone can learn it. That guy Scott is not in the medical field....he's a computer guy with Lyme Disease who seems to get really involved in everything. He was trained by Dr. Klinghardts partner....the LLMD that I might be seeing in March if she doesnt get booked up.

I wish I had less brainfog because I want to get involved and learn some of this stuff too!! Scott is really lucky to have this opportunity.

This is who will be testing me....he's just a regular guy who's learned ALOT since he got diagnosed.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rachel--24 Collaborator

More about ART....

Can you tell I'm excited?? :P

AUTONOMIC RESPONSE TESTING (ART)

WHAT IS AUTONOMIC RESPONSE TESTING (ART)?

ART is one of the diagnostic tools that The DaVinci Natural Health Centre uses to identify some of the causes of diseases, such as teeth and scar foci, organ imbalances, the priority organ that needs strengthening, primary food intolerances, TMJ problems, unresolved psychological stress and electromagnetic stress.

A typical visit may reveal that a patient has severe wheat allergies, heavy metal toxicity from the mercury in their teeth, and a scar from a past appendix surgery that are all causing stress on the ANS. The primary treatment for this patient would include scar therapy (using neural therapy, wheat germ oil, or cold laser), dietary advice to avoid wheat and gluten grains, and a referral to a biological dentist to replace the mercury fillings with a bio-compatible material. In addition, the doctor may prescribe natural remedies including homeopathic drainage, vitamins, minerals, herbs, essential fatty acids, amino acids, exercise, meditation etc.

Autonomic Response Testing is often effective when other conventional and alternative treatments fail and is effective for most chronic and acute illnesses. These include but are not limited to allergies, chronic pain, chronic infections, immune problems, depression, anxiety, multiple sclerosis, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, pre-menstrual syndrome, menopause problems, cancer, diabetes, seizure disorders, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, closed head injuries, sinusitis, digestive problems and many others.

Autonomic Response Testing (ART) is a system of evaluation and treatment developed by Dietrich Klinghardt, MD, Ph.D and Lousia Williams, DC, ND. Dr. Klinghardt is a German trained physician who also has a Ph.D in neurology. ART uses Applied Kinesiology, Electroacupuncture (EAV), O-Ring testing, Nogier pulse, Chinese pulse, heart rate variability and other techniques to assess the health or dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system.

diamondheart Newbie
The top 10 list of mycotoxin containing foods....

It's like David Letterman :P .

On the other hand, some cheeses, such as Gouda cheese, are made with yogurt-type cultures, like Lactobacillus, and not fungi (Costantini, 1998/99). These cheeses are a much healthier alternative, fungally speaking.

Well, when I add cheese back in, I'll look for these.

Some of my favorite foods are fungi! I love hunting for mushrooms in Colorado, but they don't seem to agree with me as much as they used to :( .

I liked the "Better Health Guy" website and what he has to say about genetics:

HLA genes code various proteins on the outer portion of cells. The immune system uses HLA to determine the difference between "self" and "non-self". HLA is involved in the steps responsible for antibody formation. These genes have been associated with an inability of the body to recover from illnesses resulting from Lyme disease, molds, and other sources. In the event that a person has a susceptible genotype, the body does not recognize the toxins as a foreign invader and this, they are allowed to remain in the body. This causes long-term and perpetual ill-health. It has been asserted that nearly 100% of people that become ill after exposure to a biotoxin can be shown to have a predisposition to that biotoxin through the HLA-DR genotype. Many of us have bodies that simply do not recognize the presence of these toxic substances and thus do nothing to eliminate them. Dr. Shoemaker uses the terms "Lyme susceptible" or "mold susceptible" or "multi-susceptible" to categorize one's HLA genotype.

HLA testing is done through LabCorp and can provide some interesting explanations for why we often remain ill. In my case, I presented with a 4-3-53 genotype which is multi-susceptible and is also termed the "dreaded genotype". It means that your body is not capable of dealing with toxins from many origins including Lyme disease and mold exposure. It is not my belief that the genetic results imply that you cannot or will not recover. However, I do think that they provide another piece of information to help us understand and adapt treatment protocols to provide us with the best possible chances of recovering.

I also love genetic testing. I want to get this test done!

Claire

diamondheart Newbie

Hey Rachel,

Have you ever considered making your own website or blog? You could put all this cool information from this thread on it. There is a gal who did tons of research on gluten related illnesses and made a website out of it. You've probably seen it, it's called Open Original Shared Link.

Claire

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Hey Rachel,

Have you ever considered making your own website or blog? You could put all this cool information from this thread on it. There is a gal who did tons of research on gluten related illnesses and made a website out of it. You've probably seen it, it's called Open Original Shared Link.

Claire

Claire...right now everything seems sooo incredibly complicated to me. :blink:

I used to be able to learn things on my own....even if I knew nothing about computers....I could teach myself whatever I wanted to accomplish. I was always organized and if I set my mind to something....it would get done.

Not so much anymore though...its really hard for me to concentrate sometimes. :( I dont try to start any "projects" because I get frusterated with my inability to really focus and learn new things.

I read alot of the Gluten File last year. JCC was a poster on the braintalk forum...I dont know if its active anymore though. :unsure:

I would like to do *something* with everything I've learned here....but I would be alot more motivated when I start recovering and can think more clearly.

Right now I'm too unorganized and scatterbrained.....I wouldnt even know where to begin. :ph34r:

I would like to somehow help people with what I've learned. I like the BetterHealthGuy site too...I have alot of respect for all that hes accomplished in a short time and his dedication to helping others....even though he's not totally well yet himself. He posts on LymeNet with alot of helpful info. He has his own column in a Lyme newspaper, goes to all these conferences, met Klinghardt and other well-known Lyme doctors. Now he's doing this ART treatment.

Man...if only my brain could be more clear. :(

I guess right now I just have to focus on getting answers for myself.....start taking bigger steps into the right direction. I have no doubt things will get better. :)

Its a small world cuz I actually ran into the BetterHealthGuy in the waiting room at my doctors office. I recognized him from his website. :lol:

Anyways...as far as the ART testing....I know that with these kinds of tests....alot depends on the person administering it. They need to be good at it. Even though he's new at it...I feel confidant because of his dedication, willingness to learn and desire to help others. :)

I have a good feeling about it.

I've read some great things about it on the Lyme board. Only a few people have done it.....but what they say about it is really promising.

One person is totally well now and credits getting her health back to ART.

I know if you can continue ART, you are on a good road. I do wish you the best and most of all - have patience. ART is literally the only way I have found over a period of many years that can guide you to complete wellness. It takes the guessing out of the picture and each step as determined by ART will get you a little closer to success and health.
Do relax, take a positive attitude with you. Your body follows your brain. If you expect misery, that's what usually happens. I have found every ART experience uplifting and a move forward - always toward better. I am totally well today because of ART and a man who is the master at it.

So now I feel kind of rejuvenated....but I'm also a little nervous about the test. :unsure:

NoGluGirl Contributor
NoGluGirl, you might try supplementing magnesium to get off the chocolate. Chocolate cravings are a sign of a magnesium deficiency. It won't hurt you to take it, so you might try it. It helped my daughter with her chocolate cravings.

Dear CarlaB,

I could give it a try. I figured it was just because I have a period off and on constantly. This has been going on for two years. Could you recommend a particular supplement? I know the heart palpitations can be a result of a lack of nutrients.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

NoGluGirl Contributor
It could be from the candida. Candida produces alot of toxins that overwhelm the liver. I used to have weird body odor but it cleared up after I switched to a clean diet. Some of the things your eating might be contributing.

Dear Rachel,

I am so glad someone said something. This is at least a possible answer. I know I am a sugar addict. I feel like I am dying if I do not have some caffeine, too. I discovered that I need to watch how much I put in of the instant coffee. It turns out it has more caffeine than regular brewed coffee. I switched recently because I kept getting cc'd from crumbs on the coffee maker's basket, and was exhausted from having to clean everything else as it was, so I switched to instant. I reduced my intake today. I am not so hyped but tired. Thanks for the tips.

Dear diamondheart,

I will try some magnesium. It won't hurt. You need it to absorb other vitamins and minerals as well. I think calcium needs it and vitamin D in order to be absorbed. Thanks for the input.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

Well, I may be joining you in the magnesium thing, lol. I woke up with the most horrible leg cramp. That's never happened to me before! :( Anyway, from a quick search on the Internet, it seems like it can be caused by dehydration, lack of magnesium and/or lack of potassium. It isn't dehydration, since I'm drinking tons of water these days, so it's got to be magnesium and/or potassium.

diamondheart Newbie
I read alot of the Gluten File last year. JCC was a poster on the braintalk forum...I dont know if its active anymore though. :unsure:

I would like to do *something* with everything I've learned here....but I would be alot more motivated when I start recovering and can think more clearly.

Cara aka JCC still posts on Open Original Shared Link. Actually, the crash of Braintalk last year motivated her to put Open Original Shared Linkon a separate website. All that info was on Braintalk and then it was all lost in the crash :angry: . Braintalk eventually came back to life, but the community split because a new forum, , started while Braintalk was getting it's act back together, which took about 3-4 months!

There are a lot of new programs now that make creating a web site a lot easier. Cara did hers on googlepages. When you feel up to it, I have no doubt you can put a website together. I mean, it can't be a whole lot more difficult than the complicated posts that you create here! Yeah, I think things are going to get better for you. You have a lot of persistance and perserverance. You go girl B) !

I figured it was just because I have a period off and on constantly. This has been going on for two years.

NoGluGirl, I'm worried about your irregular bleeding. Have you had it checked out? It could be caused by submucosal fibroids. Uterine fibroids were the beginning of my journey. Any kind of irregular menstrual bleeding should get checked out. If you do have fibroids, caffeine is really bad for them.

Dear diamondheart,

I will try some magnesium. It won't hurt. You need it to absorb other vitamins and minerals as well. I think calcium needs it and vitamin D in order to be absorbed. Thanks for the input.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Yeah, that's true. It never hurts to take magnesium. It supports about 80 different processes in the body. You'll know if you are taking too much because your stools will become loose. I take magnesium citrate.

Claire

MissMeliss169 Newbie
Mia,

Hugs!

Rachel,

I didn't finish reading last night as the little one woke up. I did read about your appointment, not the ART. I hope Scott will be able to get you worked in and tested.

Donna,

Glad you are getting some energy back!

Hi to everyone else! I'm still reading along.

My dad has a mass in his abdomin that needs to be biopsied. Don't know when that will happen. Other than that things are going pretty much the same. Still need to work on not being up so late. :)

I will keep you in my prayers! Hopefully it won't be anything to worry about. My grandfather had a mass in his abdomen and it turned out to be a benign mass but it kept getting bigger so they just removed it, and he led a very happy life!

CarlaB Enthusiast
Dear CarlaB,

I could give it a try. I figured it was just because I have a period off and on constantly. This has been going on for two years. Could you recommend a particular supplement? I know the heart palpitations can be a result of a lack of nutrients.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Someone in the health food store you go to would be better educated than I on a particular one. I know chocolate is high in magnesium, so sometimes chocolate cravings come from a magnesium deficiency.

If you're not taking a good multiple, I'd get one. Then supplement extra magnesium. I like Wild Oats brand because they clearly label allergens, including gluten.

Have you had your iron levels checked? A period all the time might cause anemia.

I can't remember what you said about your cycles, there are so many here to keep track of! :blink: But I think you said that you are on chemical contraceptives for your cycle and it's causing the period to be there all the time? I can't remember why, but was it for severe cramps? Severe cramps can also be caused by a magnesium deficiency and a B6 deficiency. Don't take B6 by itself, take it in a B Complex. B vitamins work together. I've heard of severe cases getting better with vitamin B and magnesium.

Chemical contraceptives can also affect candida in a negative way. They're really hard on your system. If you can get off them, I know you already know, that would be the best thing.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Somewhere in this thread we were talking about how autoimmune disease seem to make it so you never get sick with colds, flu, etc. Well, if this is true, I'm getting better! I have a cold ... kids brought it home from school. :(

An interesting thing ... one of my supplements that the doc gave me has barley in it. It's low on the list of ingredients, so it wouldn't be very much ... I never tested whether I had a problem with wheat only or all gluten, I just assumed it was all gluten since my Enterolab results said it was. I'm not reacting at all to the supplement.

Just to clarify, if I had tested positive for celiac or had the genes, I would not be taking this supplement, but since I already bought it, I thought I'd try it. I know in the past very small amounts of wheat have made me sick, but I never tried barley or rye. I'd love it if I could have malt again!! :P I'm not going to push it right now, but when the Lyme is under control I will probably experiment a bit with my food sensitivities.

I read on the Lymenet board that a lot of them avoid gluten. There's an interesting thread there about Lyme and celiac. One woman posting is quite educated and a celiac herself. I just wonder if those of us with gluten sensitivity and Lyme will have less of a problem with gluten when the Lyme is better. Is the intolerance coming from the Lyme in the same way Rachel's environmental intolerances probably come from it?

I can't say I'd ever eat a lot of it, as I clearly have a tendency to have a problem wth it and my joint pain and GI issues went away when I eliminated it ... but it sure would be nice to not have to worry about the times I ingest it accidentally. I also find it peculiar that I haven't been "glutened" since July. On the other hand, I've been VERY careful since then and eat little processed food and only eat at restaurants that can accomodate my needs.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

So far I'm not having any problems with the magnesium I started taking. YAY! :D

I also started taking something for parasites. I got it at Whole Foods and had Anna test it for me. I can take one a day and she said its really good....for not only parasites but other infections too.

I want to get on caprylic acid but havent found any yet that doesnt have other stuff that will be bothersome to me. :(

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Chemical contraceptives can also affect candida in a negative way. They're really hard on your system. If you can get off them, I know you already know, that would be the best thing.

NoGluGirl,

I agree....getting off of the contraceptives and caffeine are two things you can do that will really help you out.

AndreaB Contributor

Boy, I didn't get any emails about responses here. I should have known it wouldn't be this quiet for this long.

Now that I've caught up again Talitha is done feeding her baby brother. :)

Sun conures are beautiful!! Where does she live -- at your mom's or at your house?

I have a goffin cockatoo. He looks like Open Original Shared Link. Adam has a Hahn's Macaw that looks like Open Original Shared Link. My bird loves to be held and cuddled, which is why I got a cockatoo.

Two of my daughters have birds, too, a parakeet and a cockatiel. One daughter has a hampster. It's definately a full house!!

Pretty birds Carla. My old neighbor had/has a cockatoo she was looking to place when we moved. He was her only bird, sweet as can be. I loved him.

Andrea, how is your dad doing with the rest of his health issues?

He's had more ups and downs but is holding his own. He doesn't talk about things a lot so it's a little more challenging.

YAY!!

I'm scheduled for the ART testing. :D

Scott (the betterhealthguy) just called me and I'm set for the 10th.....so not too long of a wait. :)

Can't wait to hear all about this appointment. :)

ok rachel i was just gonna post that i called my doctor about the art test and the women who works fo rhim called me andsaid he thought it was a good idea for me. I am seeing him tomorrow for my shot and we are going to talk about it then. I got info on it and found someone close to me that does it and the main doc trained with the guy who invented it or whatever so it seems pretty reputable. Hopefully i will find out more info tomorrow. I am so glad you already have an appt set up.

Miamia

Sounds like a good thing for you to go through Mia. Keep us posted. :)

I will keep you in my prayers! Hopefully it won't be anything to worry about. My grandfather had a mass in his abdomen and it turned out to be a benign mass but it kept getting bigger so they just removed it, and he led a very happy life!

I'm hoping it's nothing but he does have prostate cancer that has spread so this could be part of it. We heard through reliable sources that he's terminal, but prayer is appreciated.

AndreaB Contributor
An interesting thing ... one of my supplements that the doc gave me has barley in it. It's low on the list of ingredients, so it wouldn't be very much ... I never tested whether I had a problem with wheat only or all gluten, I just assumed it was all gluten since my Enterolab results said it was. I'm not reacting at all to the supplement.

That's interesting Carla. Hopefully you will continue to do well with it.

Hope your cold is short lived, miserable things that they are. :(

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Somewhere in this thread we were talking about how autoimmune disease seem to make it so you never get sick with colds, flu, etc. Well, if this is true, I'm getting better! I have a cold ... kids brought it home from school. :(

Carla,

Congrats on catching a cold! :lol::lol:

I recall talking about how Lyme can cause the immune system to be on hyperalert and therefore some people wont catch colds.

I dont know about autoimmune disease having this affect though??

CarlaB Enthusiast
Carla,

Congrats on catching a cold! :lol::lol:

I recall talking about how Lyme can cause the immune system to be on hyperalert and therefore some people wont catch colds.

I dont know about autoimmune disease having this affect though??

Maybe that's what I remember. My brain hasn't been working well lately. ;) This is the first cold I've had in a couple years. Prior to this latest flare-up of Lyme, I used to catch everything.

I wonder if it's the "hyper-alert" that causes so many Lymies to have gluten intolerance and so many sensitivities. My Iga from Enterolab was 60, and 32 for casein. Casein doesn't bother me in the least. I went six months without it, added it back and have no problems whatsoever. There was no improvement off it either. I wonder if the immune system being so overactive is what caused the numbers to be so high.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Donna,

Theres a girl who posts on LymeNET (GiGi)....she has some really informative posts. She's all better now and shares alot of her experience on all of the various issues.

Here is one of her posts about mercury detox/chelation....in case you ever go through it.

I thought it was a good post. :)

Find a doctor that does kinesiological testing, preferably ART (Autonomic Response Testing). Reason:

Lab tests for metals are fine. They tell you that you have excess metals in you and which ones. They also tell you, if it's a Doctor's Data test, whether your mineral levels are in order, what's off and what not.

However, Lab tests do not tell you how much metal is in your body and where it is located. It just tells you what came out after the challenge shot. (If you put out the metals in the urine without the challenge shot, it's high time you have a good look at the situation.)

Blood tests and hair analysis are not indicative. If you start a heavy metal detox program and metals show up in the blood and hair, that's a sign that at least the stuff is moving and hopefully on its way out, as long as it does not get reabsorbed in the intestinal tract. You could be dying of metal toxicity and nothing will show in the blood or hair.

Without autonomic response testing, you will not know whether DMPS, DMSA, Cilantro, PCA, Metal-Free or any of the thousand remedies that are out there are suitable for you and are going to do the trick for you. Some work for one person, and don't do a thing but make things worth for another. My husband's reaction toward Cal-EDTA turned totally negative after the third or fourth week and he had to stop it. That's why monitoring is so important. Often the patient cannot tell why he has a problem until he is muscle tested (or whichever form is used).

Wihtout autonomic response testing, or other form of kinesiologcal testing, you will not know if the meds that worked at the outset, are still working 2 month into the program. The body has a way of turning against some substances and you will not benefit from them at one point or another. Selenium works fine for a brief period of time; many turn against it after a while. That all needs to be monitored by someone that knows how.

Picking up a detox protocol from this or that website, just won't do.

A good practitioner can tell you where the metals are sitting in your body (brain or whatever), he can pinpoint them, and test the remedy on you for your particular situation -- before you swallow it.

He/she can also advise you when to do additional therapies. Far Infrared Sauna is

"forbidden" during the early stages of detoxing metals. There are patients who were "just" metal toxic at the start, used the sauna at the wrong time, and ended up with MS symptoms six months later.

Don't try it on your own - please. Detoxing metals also means: the only way out, is the way through. So you need the assist of someone who understands, that you will experience "healing crises or herxheimers" because the metals have to move through your system before they can leave the body. That sometimes is not very pleasant. But if you are under the guidance of someone who knows, you need not fear.

DMSA for some people is a no-no --- it was for me. DMPS for some people is a no-no. It was great for me (the 3-4 shots I got spread out over a few months).

And please remember that there are two distinct functions - one drug or remedy mobilizes the heavy metal deposits, i.e. stirs it up. Another remedy has to come along and move it totally out of the body.

There is not one medicine or herb that does it all.

Also, be sure to have your replacement fillings tested kinesiologically before they are put in. Any biological dentist should automatically do that or offer you this service. You don't want to go to all the trouble and expense only to find out too late that your body is not compatible with the new material being used for the amalgam replacement. All that needs to be taken into consideration and you should discuss all of this beforehand with the dentist doing the work.

rinne Apprentice
So, here's the recap:

positive IgG for rmsf (a lyme co-infection)

some bands positive for lyme...most were not....but enough to make them "concerned"

IgA deficient

trace amounts of yeast

autoimmune thyroid antibodies

mildly high levels of C.Diff

+ for mild colitis

Things that are ok include:

adrenal functioning

parasites

other co-infections

TSH, T3, T4

That is the recap of my last three rounds of testing by my llmd. They were really surprised by my C.Diff, as I haven't been on antibiotics in probably 2-3 years? Their plan is to treat my C.Diff with Flagyl (By the way, I kept misprouncing it, so I've decided to affectionately call it "Fraggle" --- like Fraggle Rock, ha!), then once I have two clear tests, then I'll be "ok" in terms of that.

After that, they want to start Vit. C (and other stuff) IVs twice a week, to start boosting my immune system. She said that because I'm IgA deficient, its as a result of my immune system being suppressed....and that may be why all my tests are basically in the middle...not highly positive but not negative, etc.

After that, they are considering antibiotics.

I'm so glad that you are finding some answers.

I am thinking of you all.

CarlaB Enthusiast
I am thinking of you all.

Welcome back! I was just thinking of you the other day. We haven't seen you in a while.

We haven't seen Julie either ... anyone know where she is?

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Rinne :) and everyone.

I have posted in the past about Kinesiology. I saw Dr. Jimmy Scott, who is the founder of Health Kinesiology. He used musle testing to determine what was causing my inbalances. Interestingly enough, he said that foods were only 17% of my issues. He was very specific, all the different reasons added up to 100%.

He travels all over the world, teaching and seeing clients. I got an appt. through my sister--I lucked out as he was to be in town the same week we were to be there for a family wedding.

Rachel, I look forward to hearing about how your appt goes.

Oops, I wanted to add the link to Jimmy's website--

Open Original Shared Link

rinne Apprentice

Thanks Carla and congratulations on the cold. :)

I've been watching movies and sleeping as much as I can for the past month, slowly I seem to have better moments and sometimes days but then I'll have one where it seems like I haven't improved at all. Today is not a great day, lots of back pain.

I am glad to see the thread continuing and new faces too.

Rachel it sounds like you are tolerating more, yes?

Has anyone looked into Iodine? I've been reading a little about iodine deficiency, enough to know I should read more as it appears there is a connection between fibroids in the breast tissue and a lack of iodine. I was wondering whether there might be a connection to uterine fibroids, which I have.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I wonder if it's the "hyper-alert" that causes so many Lymies to have gluten intolerance and so many sensitivities. My Iga from Enterolab was 60, and 32 for casein. Casein doesn't bother me in the least. I went six months without it, added it back and have no problems whatsoever. There was no improvement off it either. I wonder if the immune system being so overactive is what caused the numbers to be so high.

Carla,

I dont think the food intolerance is simply because of the immune system being on hyper-alert. I think its more likely due to leaky gut.

All of the food intolerance wouldnt occur with a healthy environment in the intestine. I dont think just killing off Lyme will heal the intestines. Candida/dysbiosis would be a cause of leaky gut and resulting gluten intolerance. This would have to be corrected and the intestines would need to be healed.

The antibodies toward gluten are there because the gut is or was leaky......which allowed for those proteins to get into the bloodstream.

I *do* believe that this can be corrected when its not Celiac. However, I dont think I would test the waters until I was QUITE healthy again.....so for me...I think I will be gluten-free for a LONG time....if not forever.

If I were you I would do further testing down the road....to see if there is still elevated antibodies as far as gluten/casein. Also, have you ever had a test to check if you have dysbiosis or not? Parasites...stuff like that??

If you have any infections or overgrowth in your intestines they will contribute to keeping the gut leaky....which in turn would keep the immune system reactive toward gluten. Also the food intolerance itself can keep the gut irritated and leaky so in my opinion it would be risky this early in the game.

I have some info about this....

This came from a site about candida/leaky gut.

Its basically saying that if the gut heals and there is no evidence/possibility of Celiac.....one can then resume a diet containing gluten and casein. I do believe it can be eaten again w/out reaction...BUT...I think correcting the leaky gut and the dysbiosis is no easy task. In my case I dont know that my intestinal environment will EVER be healthy enough that I can eat gluten again. I think it would be very risky.

Increased Intestinal Permeability

Increased permeability will allow the passage through the bowel of metabolites usually prevented by an intact bowel. These metabolites include the casomorphines and gliadomorphines from casein and gliadin respectively. These metabolites have been reported in the urine and serum of other conditions of increased intestinal permeability such as regional ileitis, (11) and may account for some of the symptoms associated with chronic unresponsive candida overgrowth. These patients develop intestinal permeability because of the progressive colonization of the gut wall by the candida that results in damage to the protein barrier in the lumen of the bowel. The appearance of symptoms related to delayed food allergy may also be related to increased intestinal permeability which allows foods across a normally intact membrane.

Removal of particularly gliadin and casein from the diet will produce temporary relief of some of the symptoms. After three months gliadin and casein should be reintroduced and the Intestinal Permeability Evaluation #2330 repeated one month after the reintroduction of casein and gliadin. If the IgA antibodies have disappeared then the intestinal permeability has been cured. But if they still have IgA antibodies then the patient should return to the casein and gliadin free diet. At this point gluten sensitivity should be excluded by testing for endomysial and reticulin antibodies (test #369 & 370). If the endomysial and reticulin antibodies are positive, the patient must stay on the gliadin free diet for the rest of their life. If these antibodies are negative then the patient has a bowel with active intestinal permeability which may take months to heal.

AndreaB Contributor

Rinne,

So good to see you!!!!

We've missed you.

Archived