Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

randils

What Should I Be Adding To Cookie Recipe?

I just recently purchased Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour and made one of my cookie recipes, not a G.F. one and substituted the gluten-free flour for the regular flour. The cookies tasted great. The problem is that they normally stay in a nice little mound (I use a cookie scoop), but with the gluten-free flour, they flattened some. What am I suppose to be adding to help this. Is it the xanthan gum or something else? I'm somewhat new to the gluten-free lifestyle and still trying to learn what works and how different ingredients work.

Thanks.

Randi

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Someone posted somewhere that chilling them helps. I put a little extra flour (TB or so) to keep them fluffy (ok, fluffy is an overstatement).

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

You can also try decreasing the amount of baking soda or baking powder. Or, I've found that when I beat my eggs for a long time (after adding them to the batter) the gluten-free cookies tend to spread out less.

Good luck!

I always chill the dough and add 1 tsp Xanthan gum per 1 cup gluten-free flour. The cookies come out just right - even stay that way!

Richard

"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien

Diagnosed 3/8/05

Sister also Celiac

Risus remedium optimum est